Possible breaking change beta2 -> RTM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've been upgrading my code from beta2 to RTM and my linq queries began to fail me.

All of them are with join keyword.

for example

var result = from a in context.Table1

join b in context.Table2 on a.Id equals b.Id

where a.Name.Equals("MyName")

select a;

this query (over SSCE I might add) is throwing an exception :

System.InvalidOperationException occurred
      Message="The query contains references to items defined on a different data context."
      Source="System.Data.Linq"
      StackTrace:
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.TranslateConstantTable(ITable table, SqlLink link)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.CoerceToSequence(SqlNode node)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitSequence(Expression exp)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitJoin(Expression outerSequence, Expression innerSequence, LambdaExpression outerKeySelector, LambdaExpression innerKeySelector, LambdaExpression resultSelector)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitSequenceOperatorCall(MethodCallExpression mc)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitMethodCall(MethodCallExpression mc)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitInner(Expression node)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.Visit(Expression node)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitWhere(Expression sequence, LambdaExpression predicate)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitSequenceOperatorCall(MethodCallExpression mc)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitMethodCall(MethodCallExpression mc)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitSelect(Expression sequence, LambdaExpression selector)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitAggregate(Expression sequence, LambdaExpression lambda, SqlNodeType aggType, Type returnType)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.ConvertOuter(Expression node)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.BuildQuery(Expression query, SqlNodeAnnotations annotations)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.System.Data.Linq.Provider.IProvider.Execute(Expression query)
           at System.Data.Linq.DataQuery`1.System.Linq.IQueryProvider.ExecuteSleep(Expression expression)
           at System.Linq.Queryable.Count[TSource](IQueryable`1 source)
           at Bar.foo(X x) in C:\myPath\myFile.cs:line 120
      InnerException:

Well this query worked well under beta2, and I don't know what I do wrong, the syntax seems correct, ot I missed some breaking change in that matter.

And Idea?

Thanks

Ariel

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:24 AM

Answers

• Ok guys,

I believe I found the answer.

The problem was that I was using a static DataContext.

So when queries began running cocurrent that when the exception occures.

So don't be lazy, create the Datacontext on every scope you have.

(From the MSDN : "A DataContext is lightweight and is not expensive to create. A typical LINQ to SQL application creates DataContext instances at method scope or as a member of short-lived classes that represent a logical set of related database operations").

That was a *** Smile

Ariel

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:16 PM

All replies

• Try:

var result = from a in context.Table1

from b in context.Table2
                     where (a.Name.Equals("MyName") &&

(b.Id == a.Id))

select a;

Bye.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:16 AM
  • Thanks, I tried that.

I guess the problem is really in the result list itself.

when I try something like result.Count<Table1Class>(), then the exception is thrown.

System.InvalidOperationException was unhandled
      Message="The query contains references to items defined on a different data context."
      Source="System.Data.Linq"
      StackTrace:
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.CheckContext(SqlExpression expr)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitMemberAccess(MemberExpression ma)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitSelectMany(Expression sequence, LambdaExpression colSelector, LambdaExpression resultSelector)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitWhere(Expression sequence, LambdaExpression predicate)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitSelect(Expression sequence, LambdaExpression selector)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitDefaultIfEmpty(Expression sequence)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.VisitAggregate(Expression sequence, LambdaExpression lambda, SqlNodeType aggType, Type returnType)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.QueryConverter.ConvertOuter(Expression node)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.BuildQuery(Expression query, SqlNodeAnnotations annotations)
           at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.System.Data.Linq.Provider.IProvider.Execute(Expression query)
           at System.Data.Linq.DataQuery`1.System.Linq.IQueryProvider.ExecuteSleep(Expression expression)
           at System.Linq.Queryable.Count[TSource](IQueryable`1 source)
      InnerException:

Still investigating.

Any help is welcomed.

Ariel

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:32 AM
  • Ok guys,

I believe I found the answer.

The problem was that I was using a static DataContext.

So when queries began running cocurrent that when the exception occures.

So don't be lazy, create the Datacontext on every scope you have.

(From the MSDN : "A DataContext is lightweight and is not expensive to create. A typical LINQ to SQL application creates DataContext instances at method scope or as a member of short-lived classes that represent a logical set of related database operations").

That was a *** Smile

Ariel

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:16 PM