none
Commonly used DLL not working on my laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:  I was wondering if anyone can help me narrow down where to look for the answer to this error.  I get a "TypeInitializationException was unhandled" errir when I try to run a program using one of our common dlls on my laptop.  This dll was copied into my project folder and the reference is to the dll in my project folder when I get the error but when I reference the same dll to the VM server then my project works.  Is there some config file on my laptop that would need to be changed to make it work from my laptop and if so where in my laptop would I look.  I am really lost with this one.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• Moved by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:16 AM better forum
    Monday, December 30, 2013 10:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Which type of program/project are you working with? Which language do you use to develop this program?

What is the 'common dlls'? Are they third-party dlls?

If you don't use the common dll with your project, you don't get that error , right?

In addition, please provide us detailed error messages?

Bets regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:09 AM
  • Hello:  I am using VB 2005 and VB 2010.  This is not a 3rd party DLL.   I don't get the error if the path is pointing to a server (a shared drive) but if it is pointing to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727 or in my project folder, then I get the error.  I am wondering if my registry needs to be edited in the ODBC or this could be related to another error I received "ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified."  Any more info I can provide, please let me know.  Thank you so much for your help.  I am still new to all this.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:29 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your detailed information.

I am afraid that the issue is out of support range of VS General Question forum which mainly discusses the usage issue of Visual Studio IDE such as WPF & SL designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System and Visual Studio Editor.

I have moved this thread to .NET Framework Class Libraries forum for better response.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Hello,

>>TypeInitializationException was unhandled

This error is a vague information, could you please provide the detail error message as the link below:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17132698/an-unhandled-exception-of-type-system-typeinitializationexception-occurred-in

As the Additional information and full error trace so that we can know exactly why it does not work for you.

Regards.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 7:26 AM