Import Data from Analysis Services RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of setting up a system and I'm having issues with it - hopefully someone here can shed some light.  We have a production SSAS 2008 server with multiple customers' data cubes in it.  The customers have asked for direct access to their cubes from the outside so that they can import the cubes into Excel and analyze it.  We stood up an RDS portal which works fine and on the Session Host servers, we've installed Excel.  For each customer, we stood up an SSRS 2012 server and we have restored their production cubes from a backup on the SSAS 2008 server.  When we connect to the RDS portal and open Excel and go to Data -> From Other Sources -> From Analysis Services and connect to the SSAS instance, we can see the cubes.  When I click Next -> Finish to import the data, though, as a PivotTable Report I am getting one of the following errors on each of the 3 servers.  This process of importing SSAS data through Excel is very new to me and I really don't even know where to begin. 

These are the errors:

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:12 PM

Answers

• This is resolved - it ended up all being on the SQL/SSAS server side.  The first error was due to the SSAS service not running under the service account we created after performing an upgrade.  The second was due to an incompatibility with SSAS 2012 and a cube restored from an SSAS 2008 instance.  The third was due to the connection string on the data source of the restored cube still containing the name of the original server from which it was backed up.

A lack of thoroughness was to blame, essentially.

• Marked as answer by .Tim Harrison Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:00 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hello Sir,

Based on your description, this issue is more related to cube function and SSAS, I'll move it to SQL forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:46 AM
  • This is resolved - it ended up all being on the SQL/SSAS server side.  The first error was due to the SSAS service not running under the service account we created after performing an upgrade.  The second was due to an incompatibility with SSAS 2012 and a cube restored from an SSAS 2008 instance.  The third was due to the connection string on the data source of the restored cube still containing the name of the original server from which it was backed up.

A lack of thoroughness was to blame, essentially.

• Marked as answer by .Tim Harrison Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:00 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:00 PM