The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

[UWP][C#] Windows.Devices.PointOfService CashDrawer not found RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to integrate Cash Drawer support into a Windows Universal App using the Windows.Devices.PointOfService namespace.

I've downloaded the Cash Drawer sample available available here: 

https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/CashDrawer

The cash drawer sample compiles and runs fine, but when I hit 'Initialize Drawer', it tells me "Cash drawer not found.  Please connect a cash drawer."

Essentially, CashDrawer.GetDefaultAsync(); is returning null. 

I have a cash drawer connected to the device, and I can open it with the vendor's OPOS Cash Drawer Test Utility.

It's connected directly to the POS through what I believe is a DK port.  It's like an Ethernet jack with 6 pins on it. I believe that the connector is an RJ11. 

---

I'm quite stumped at the moment.  How do I get this thing to work?

Monday, December 7, 2015 7:42 PM

Answers

• Sam,

I would highly doubt that a direct connection to the DK port on the POS PC will work in this case.  The cash drawer must be network or Bluetooth connected or connected through a DK port on a printer that is listed in the compatibility list that I have already provided, in which case the printer must be either network or Bluetooth connected.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Since I do not have the CashDrawer device for me to test, I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 3:02 AM
  • That would be great. 

In the meantime, if you know of a cash drawer simulator that is supported by the Windows Universal POS libraries, that would be very useful
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:38 PM
  • Sam,

How is your cash drawer connected to the PC?

Per documentation on MSDN (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt426650.aspx), we currently support network connection, Bluetooth connection as well as the DK port on Star Micronics DK AirCash or a DK port on a printer listed here:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt426652.aspx.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Monday, December 14, 2015 3:23 PM
  • It's connected directly to the POS through what I believe is a DK port.  It's like an Ethernet jack with 6 pins on it. I believe that the connector is an RJ11. 

I've tested it on a Partner register and an NCR register
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:55 PM
  • Sam,

In order for the Cash Drawer to work through a DK port, the printer that it is connected to must also be supported by Windows.Devices.PointOfService.POSPrinter as mentioned previously.

Per documentation on MSDN (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt426650.aspx), we currently support network connection, Bluetooth connection as well as the DK port on Star Micronics DK AirCash or a DK port on a printer listed here:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt426652.aspx.

The POSPrinter must be either network or Bluetooth connected in this case, we do not have support for a wired connection to the POSPrinter for these API's just yet.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 4:57 PM
  • The cash drawer is connected directly to the register itself, on a port that resembles an ethernet jack with 6-pins there is no printer in-between. 

I do have a printer, and the port on the printer appears to be identical to the port on the register.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Sam,

I would highly doubt that a direct connection to the DK port on the POS PC will work in this case.  The cash drawer must be network or Bluetooth connected or connected through a DK port on a printer that is listed in the compatibility list that I have already provided, in which case the printer must be either network or Bluetooth connected.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:34 PM
  • As a note, I haven't forgotten about this question, and I still intend to eventually obtain a supported printer and hook the cash drawer up to it to test and see if the answer here is valid enough for me to accept.

so far, the closest thing I've tried is connecting to a networked Epson TM-T88IV, which is a lower version than the supported printers.

I do however have a Epson TM-T20II, which is a higher version of printer than is on the supported list, and I will test the cash drawer on that If I can find the time
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 11:12 PM
  • Sam,

How is your cash drawer connected to the PC?

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Hi Terry,

Thanks for this information. I am hoping to get some help with a Socket Mobile Bluetooth Barcode Scanner (CHS 7QI). It is a 1D/2D scanner but I don't see it on the list below. Do you know if there is any internal information on support for the CHS 7QI or someone I can work with to get it working with the BarcodeScanner sample in the Windows-universal-samples?

It will connect fine in HID mode and even scan a barcode, but I really need to get it working in SSP mode so I can utilize Socket Mobiles SDK, but have had no luck so far.

I am trying to launch a startup targeting the I-502 industry here in the state of Washington and want to use Microsoft's Surface Pro and Universal Windows Platform to develop a Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Point of Sale (POS) system that provides vertical integration across all three layers of the industry. Right now the industry is using Apple iPads and Socket Mobile, but I believe Microsoft can do better; that is if I can get this off the ground ;-)

I tried to use BizSpark (for startups) but that was utterly useless (all contractors not blue badge and they wouldn't even get back to me).

Microsoft's Surface platform has the potential to really shine in the Line of Business domain for medium sized businesses if a reliable POS system can be hooked up to Azure and a robust ERP.

Thanks,

Rob

Bluetooth

Serial Port Protocol (SPP) – Simple Serial Interface (SSI)

Windows supports SPP-SSI based Bluetooth barcode scanners.

CHS 7Ci, CHS 7Di, CHS 7Mi, CHS 7Pi, CHS 8Ci, CHS 8Qi

RR

• Edited by RobReno Friday, January 29, 2016 7:03 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 7:02 PM