none
Offline dev licence not working

Question

• Have been struggling with this for weeks now. No choice but to ask for help!

I can't get any kind of offline development setup working.

Following the guide called: "Sideload Apps with DISM" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/hh852635.aspx

I should be able to develop Unified apps on an offline Windows machine. But I can't get it to work. My system is currently Windows 8.1 Enterprise connected to a 2012R2 server Domain, so the guide should work.

The problem is that whenever I create a new unified project in visual studio, it wrongly asks me to go online for a license and refuses to build the project.

(Can't post any screenshots until my forum account is verified)

Any help?

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:50 PM

Answers

• I might have cracked it myself. I randomly decided to right click on an arbitrary domain policy in the servers Group Policy Management window, the edit option created a new and subtly different Group Policy Management Window from the one above, this one had the allow deployment option still unspecified. Set it to enable and I seem to be moving forward.

Seems I fell fowl of a Developer Lock-in Marketing Policy. I didn't have enough Microsoft local knowledge to do the thing that should not have needed doing in the first place. Wasted quite a bit of time and found it quite annoying really.

• Marked as answer by User Steve Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:40 PM
    • Edited by User Steve Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:43 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:36 PM

All replies

• Bump. I am really struggling here. I can't spend a third week trying to solve this.

And I don't really understand why my post was moved. My problem is that I cannot build/compile any programs, nothing to do with publishing as far as I can tell. The guides imply that a developer license is different to sideloading. The later sideloading part is supposed to be easiest on Enterprise 8.1 as I won't need a sideloading product key. As I understand it, My problem is with getting the GPO developer license from the domain recognized in Visual Studio.

Symptom: Typing into an Admin PowerShell:

Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration

...triggers a pop-up window asking to download a developer license. What have I done wrong? What diagnostic tools should I try?

Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:50 PM
  • I have not tried doing it so I don't know in how far I can actually help but I guess it would help if you told us what exactlly you have done so far and what your setup looks like.

I don't see the PowerShell being used at all in this section of the guide (which seems to be the only one applicable to what you're doing): To configure your enterprise PCs with a developer license

Have you configured the Group Policies accordingly and if so, have you done so on your local machine or on the domain controller. Have the mentioned registry keys been set accordingly due to your changes to the Group Policy?

Is Windows 8.1 Update (terrible name - talking about the bigger update they released after Windows 8.1) already installed on your Dev machine or are we talking about regular Windows 8.1? As far as I can remember sideloading options have changed in that update.

What version of Visual Studio 2013 are you using? The newest version should be VS2013 Update 4.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:59 PM
  • I still don't seem to be able to post images or links. I had intended to show you in the original post exactly what I have done. So let's try an ugly 3rd party solution to get the images up..

http://s16.postimg.org/tcy30qicl/Capture1.jpg    (used gpedit.msc to manually set the settings identically on both the local box and the domain controller) (screenshot is from box, but domain server is the same)

http://s23.postimg.org/lh6mtw1rf/Capture2.jpg    (regedit same on local box and domain controller) (screenshot is from box, but domain server is the same)

http://s10.postimg.org/ld16z2g7t/Capture3.jpg    (local box. Yes, it is on the domain)

http://s15.postimg.org/3v1atqbez/Capture4.jpg    (local box error message - missing license)

I was hoping that the thing I have done wrong will be entirely obvious from the first of the screenshots to someone familiar with gpedit stuff.

Visual Studio version: The license is not specific to Visual Studio. It is possible to use powershell to request a license online and to inspect the current license without visual studio installed. So I included the Powershell 'license inspection' command to show it isn't a Visual Studio version problem. I am using Visual Studio 2012 R2, I am not online (by definition) so I can't use automatic update. I don't think it is a VS version thing, but I will look for an update file if they do them.

The box is "Windows 8.1 Update 1 Enterprise X64". All the sideloading stuff is different between enterprise and pro, 8 and 8.1. It seems like a huge mess. I picked 8.1 Enterprise as the guide seemed to pick it out as the simplest working solution.

• Edited by User Steve Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:44 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:34 PM
  • I might have cracked it myself. I randomly decided to right click on an arbitrary domain policy in the servers Group Policy Management window, the edit option created a new and subtly different Group Policy Management Window from the one above, this one had the allow deployment option still unspecified. Set it to enable and I seem to be moving forward.

Seems I fell fowl of a Developer Lock-in Marketing Policy. I didn't have enough Microsoft local knowledge to do the thing that should not have needed doing in the first place. Wasted quite a bit of time and found it quite annoying really.

• Marked as answer by User Steve Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:40 PM
    • Edited by User Steve Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:43 PM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 6:36 PM