How to use IsTrial and IsActive on LicenseInformation RRS feed

• Question

• I released an app that only allows some functionality if CurrentApp.LicenseInformation.IsTrial == false. This did not seem to work though! When I downloaded it, it appeared to be the full version. Do I have to check IsActive too? or possibly the problem is that the user on my computer that uses the trial somehow can access the license of my other user that has the full version?

Thanks for the help

Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:33 AM

All replies

• I believe the other user's full version license applies to the machine. Once the purchased app is installed on the machine it can be installed for all users without needing to purchase it again. This allows for scenarios where a parent purchases an app and then installs it for several children.

edit: looking more closely, the family scenario requires logging into the store with the parent's account while running on the child's account. I'll have to double check if it would affect your scenario or not.    

See How to create a trial version of your app the Trial app and in-app purchase sample  for guidance on implementing the trial in the app.

Checking IsActive is recommended, but shouldn't affect the scenario you describe. It will let you know if a trial install has expired or is still valid, but you would only check it after IsTrial returned true.

--Rob

Friday, January 10, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. This is what I am guessing (and hoping) is the situation, because the equivalent code for the windows phone seemed to work as expected (although a bit simpler as that doesn't have IsActive). Looking forward to hearing back from you about it!

Cheers,

/Peter

Friday, January 10, 2014 8:24 AM