Windows Store App by VS 2012 deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I have been developing windows store app using VS 2012 express edition on windows 8.1,

When I tried to submit the app where I uploaded the package, it said app has been uploaded for windows 8 environment and asked me to upload another package for windows 8.1

I thought that the version that I packaged also would be sufficient for windows 8.1 users to download and use it with no problem.  I kind of assumed this because I have been developing on windows 8.1

So my question ...

Is  the package that is ready to be uploaded and that was developed using VS 2012 on windows 8.1 only available for windows 8 users?

DO I have to use VS 2013 to target windows 8.1 users also or the same package would be available for windows 8.1 users also?

When I converted the app to VS 2013, I found that there are some work need to be done.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:19 PM

Answers

• Windows 8 apps run on Windows 8.1.
    • Marked as answer by biprism Monday, January 27, 2014 6:40 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 5:45 PM

All replies

• Windows 8 apps run on Windows 8.1 and will be offered if an 8.1 app is not available. Providing a Windows 8.1 app will allow the app to make use of the new Windows 8.1 features on that OS.

--Rob

Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:00 PM
  • But if a user had windows 8 when she/he downloaded the app and had been using it. Later on user upgraded to windows 8.1 then I guess that's where the problem is going to be where my app won't work anymore.

Is my guess correct? Am I interpreting what developer center site for retargeting the app said correctly?

Monday, January 27, 2014 5:24 PM
  • Windows 8 apps run on Windows 8.1.
    • Marked as answer by biprism Monday, January 27, 2014 6:40 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 5:45 PM
  • OK thanks the documentation is not clear on MSDN. When I submitted my app, it asked me if have windows 8.1 package which would help users to upgrade to 8.1 smoothly.

I also read in a blog that when user upgrades to 8.1 it checks for 8.1 package. If available it installs the package otherwise it continues to use windows 8 package.

Please let me know if said anywhere, anything wrong. Otherwise I will go with your answer.

Thanks

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:39 PM
  • OK yesterday my app was published, but I can search and find my app in windows store only on windows 8 but not windows 8.1.

I thought as you said, the windows 8 package will be made available in windows 8.1 also if there is no corresponding 8.1 package.

This is in contrary to the documentation that I found also

It looks like I have to submit windows 8.1 version package separately for windows 8.1, is this true?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:23 PM
  • What documentation did you find to the contrary? Your Windows 8 app should be offered to users on Windows 8.1 if you didn't provide an 8.1 app.

It may take some time to be available. If you have further questions about publishing your app please post in the Publishing Windows Store apps forum.

--Rob

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Sorry, I did not mean to say contrary to what you said. The documentation and the comment you made are matching, but what I saw happened yesterday was contrary to documentation and what you said.

Yes I did not provide an 8.1 package. So today morning I searched and found my app in windows store on windows 8 but not in windows 8.1.

I will also publish in other forum as you suggested.

My apologies.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:47 PM