Ado.net data service using a WCF service for a data source RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to provide ADO.NET data services a provider that is a WCF service returning data. We have an issue putting a this type of service on the web directly communicating to the database (within the DMZ), we rather Ado.net data services will communicate with a service rather then a database, is this possible? What would be the way to this so client apps don't see this type diffrence.

Silverlight -> Ado.net Data Services -> WCF Service -> DB

Can someone tell me if this is possible, our IT is refusing having direct SQL connection from the DMZ... this is the only work-around I can think of...
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Mike,

Welcome to WCF Data Services forum!

I think your scenario is similar when ADO.NET Data Service is working on in-memory objects.  You will find a sample video here about how to create the ADO.NET Data Service for non-relational objects:

How Do I: Getting Started with ADO.NET Data Services over a Non-Relational

Data Source

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/cc745968.aspx

To make these objects updatable, we need to let our custom service context implement the IUpdatable interface.  We have some sample codes in All-In-One Code Framework, which is an open-source project owned by MSDN Forum support team.  The sample projects are CSADONETDataService and VBADONETDataService for C# and VB.NET versions respectively.  

Have a nice weekend!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Hello Mike,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.  Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? 

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.   I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:59 AM