A file name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > | # { } % ~ & RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am trying to upload the file in SharePoint library, and that filename contains some special character, so I am getting below message:

“A file name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > | # { } % ~ &”

After removing special character able to upload.

Why SharePoint not supporting following character “\ / : * ? " < > | # { } % ~ &” in file name?

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:11 AM

Answers

• Prakash,

It’s by-default or you can call it’s a design behavior of the SharePoint.

Request you to have a look at following articles for better clarity:

Information about the characters that you cannot use in site names, folder names, and file names in SharePoint: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905231

Error Message: Filename is Invalid or Cannot Contain Any of the Following Characters: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177506

Friday, October 11, 2013 12:53 PM
  • Hi, I am trying to upload the file in SharePoint library, and that filename contains some special character, so I am getting below message:

“A file name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > | # { } % ~ &”

Why SharePoint not supporting following character “\ / : * ? " < > | # { } % ~ &” in file name?

I'm not sure what O/S you are using or how you were able to load filenames with special characters onto your filesystem but for Win 7, 64 Bit O/S these are characters not allowed for file and path names (though the path characters list left some out I think). Although you can search on the net for what characters are not authorized for your O/S and possibly disk format (i.e. fat32 or NTFS)  if that matters which I would not think it does.

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:45 AM

All replies

I'm not sure what O/S you are using or how you were able to load filenames with special characters onto your filesystem but for Win 7, 64 Bit O/S these are characters not allowed for file and path names (though the path characters list left some out I think). Although you can search on the net for what characters are not authorized for your O/S and possibly disk format (i.e. fat32 or NTFS)  if that matters which I would not think it does.

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:45 AM
  • Hello,

You might want to look at here:

http://www.sharepointscouts.com/sharepoint-and-names-you-are-allowed-to-provide/

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Friday, October 11, 2013 5:24 AM
  • It will mess the file path to your attachment that's why SharePoint does not allow this.

For example you have a file with the name 'My/File'

The file path will be rendered as //sites/Intranet/MyFolder/My/File.

SharePoint will be looking for a file named 'File' under the 'My' Folder instead of looking for your 'My/File'.

The other characters are also reserved and will mess up when this is rendered as HTML.

Artificial intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.

Friday, October 11, 2013 8:51 AM
  • SharePoint not supporting following character “\ / : * ? " < > | # { } % ~ &” in file name because it use for find predefined items for example  {Site}, ~Site find site, \/ folders or url separators

Tarek Yehia

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:17 AM
  • Prakash,

It’s by-default or you can call it’s a design behavior of the SharePoint.

Request you to have a look at following articles for better clarity:

Information about the characters that you cannot use in site names, folder names, and file names in SharePoint: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905231

Error Message: Filename is Invalid or Cannot Contain Any of the Following Characters: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177506

Friday, October 11, 2013 12:53 PM