none
Net framework updates RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XP Home SP 3
    Hi - complete newbie here.
    PC has been getting more sluggish of late - checked space available on HD and virtually nothing left.
    Ran Spacemonger to find where I could clean up and find that Microsoft Net framework has been added to the Windows\system 32\config\systemprofile\local settings\temp directory EVERY day since 7th August 2010 !! This directory now standing at 22.1 Gb !!
    Why is this happening and how do stop it happening and how do I delete the necessary files without corrupting the PC ?
    Thanks
    Les
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you experiencing Windows Update failures for updates to any .NET Framework? If so, which updates (KB numbers, please)?

Are you saying that new files are being added to the temp directory daily? What are the files in question?

I realize it's frustrating to get back questions when you post here, but without details, it's very difficult to give you useful suggestions.

I agree that a 22 gig temp directory in Windows XP seems unusually large, but I'm not going to tell you to clear it out without a second opinion from a current XP user.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Hi Les,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Could you please let me know which update you failed to install?

Would you please upload a temp file under the path "Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\temp" to help us analyze your problem in depth?

The path ” C:\\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp” is the local system profile folder. For more information about it, you can refer to this page: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/temp-folder-is-taking-up-13gb-of-hard-drive-space/78beedd3-5e44-e011-90b6-1cc1de79d2e2?msgId=a4bef3f6-6344-e011-9bac-78e7d160ad4e

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:08 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:48 AM