Unable to Download File as Guest User on XP Home RRS feed

• Question

• I've written a program (in c#) that at one point needs to programmatically download a file from the internet (webclient.DownloadFile).  In my testing this has worked fine so far except as a Guest User on XP Home, trying to download the file throws an exception.  Through my internet searches it's been suggested that this is a function of the following:

1. Guest User on XP Home
    2. A bug in .Net Framework less than 4 in which performance counters are enabled

I'm just curious if anyone has any knowledge/familiarity with this problem?  What's the fix?  I'm not sure how to turn performance counters off.  I have not been able to find very much information online.  I apologize in advance if this post doesn't seem appropriate for this forum, I wasn't sure which forum to post to.

Thanks,

-C

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:50 PM

All replies

• Where are you trying to download the files to? Does the guest user or group have write access to that current location?

Guest is supposed to have even less security clearance than a standard user and it isn't part of the Everybody group on Windows XP. This means for write access to anywhere other than the profile would require you setting explicit security information for guest.

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.
    Visit my (not very good) blog at
    http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:08 PM