SQL Server 2008 login with SQL Server Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me what the default login and password for SQL Server 2008 using SQL Server authentication?  If I use Windows authentication I can connect with no problem, but using SQL Server authentication, I am not sure what to enter for login and password.  I believe the login used to be "sa" and the password "manager" or blank in SQL Server 2005.  These do not work anymore in 2008.  Thank you. 
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 2:18 AM

Answers

• Is the SQL instance setup for Windows and SQL Authentication? By default I believe it is setup just for Windows authentication, so even though there is an SA account, it will not be allowed to login.

Joie Andrew "Since 1982"
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:27 AM
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 11:40 PM

All replies

• What was the error in your error log when you tried to login to SQL server with sa ?
    The state of error 18456 can narrow down the reason for this failure with sa account . Have a look at my article on different states of error 18456.
    http://sql-articles.com/articles/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-login-failed-error-18456
    Thanks, Leks
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:33 AM
  • Is the SQL instance setup for Windows and SQL Authentication? By default I believe it is setup just for Windows authentication, so even though there is an SA account, it will not be allowed to login.

Joie Andrew "Since 1982"
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:27 AM
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 11:40 PM
  • Hi nkhabbaz,

Could you give us the error message you got?

Regards,
    Tom Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 8, 2010 6:17 AM