Compile warning level RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Can VC++ trigger compile warning msg when hitting the following conditions related to MFC:

CString _str;

if (_str = L"abc") //<--- (should be ==)
    {...}

if we use some basic type like int or string(STL) to define for the above conditions, VC compiler can trigger warning msg(warning C4706: assignment within conditional expression) under level 4 warning, but not for MFC CString.

Thanks and regards,

Wallace Chan

P.S: We're using VC++ 2003

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:56 AM

Answers

• "Can VC++ trigger compile warning msg when hitting the following conditions related to MFC: ... P.S: We're using VC++ 2003"

Well, if you're stuck with 2003 then the simpler answer is "no". Though I'd follow David Lowndes advice and create a bug on Connect. But do not mention that you're using 2003 because they may close the bug without looking at it, 2003 is no longer supported.

"It's interesting that std::string gives rise to an error in this situation (I get a C2451 error with VS2015 CTP), so it'd be neat if CString did similar."

The error is generated because std::string has no conversion that can produce a bool. This was always an error. On the other hand CString has a conversion to char* which gets hijacked to produce a bool.

• Marked as answer by Shu 2017 Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:27 AM

All replies

• Can VC++ trigger compile warning msg when hitting the following conditions related to MFC:

It would appear not.

CString _str;
    if (_str = L"abc") //<--- (should be ==)
    {...}
    if we use some basic type like int or string(STL) to define for the above conditions, VC compiler can trigger warning msg(warning C4706: assignment within conditional expression) under level 4 warning, but not for MFC CString.

It's interesting that std::string gives rise to an error in this
    situation (I get a C2451 error with VS2015 CTP), so it'd be neat if
    CString did similar.

Can you file a bug/suggestion for this on MS connect
    https://connect.microsoft.com/visualStudio/. Post a link back here to
    your report so anyone who sees this can easily find it and vote for
    it.

Dave

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:54 AM
  • "Can VC++ trigger compile warning msg when hitting the following conditions related to MFC: ... P.S: We're using VC++ 2003"

Well, if you're stuck with 2003 then the simpler answer is "no". Though I'd follow David Lowndes advice and create a bug on Connect. But do not mention that you're using 2003 because they may close the bug without looking at it, 2003 is no longer supported.

"It's interesting that std::string gives rise to an error in this situation (I get a C2451 error with VS2015 CTP), so it'd be neat if CString did similar."

The error is generated because std::string has no conversion that can produce a bool. This was always an error. On the other hand CString has a conversion to char* which gets hijacked to produce a bool.

• Marked as answer by Shu 2017 Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:27 AM

Yes, mention it as VS2015 CTP - that's what I've used.

Thanks for pointing that out Mike.

Dave

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 12:46 PM