SQL Server -- No Databases but Consuming CPU RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I've just installed Microsoft SQL Server 2014 on a FRESH install of Windows Server 2012 in our lab. It is absolutely doing nothing at the moment.  However, I've noticed it (sqlservr.exe) is consuming between 1-10% of the CPU all the time. Granted, this is not excessive, and a 1-10% consumption of the CPU would not be noticed in production, but I'm still wondering why it is consuming the CPU. I've yet to install a database, create tables, or invoke any CRUD operations. What could be consuming this CPU? Is it possible to get this back by turning on / off a setting?

Thank you for your feedback.

Trecius

Thursday, May 14, 2015 10:34 PM

Answers

• Hi

If you have nothing running on the server it's likely to be system processes. To see what's happening on the server you can install the sp_whoisactive  stored procedure (download here) on your server  and execute the following command

exec sp_whoisactive @show_system_spids=1

This will show you currently active processes along with CPU time (and many other stats).

As to why it's hitting as high as 10%, I don't know. But if the server has a particularly low spec the peaks are going to be exaggerated. 

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, May 18, 2015 6:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Trecius Monday, May 18, 2015 3:16 PM
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 11:47 PM