none
.NET 2.0 runtime installation, time needed for installation and 64 bit. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Following are the questions I have:

1. My application just takes a minute or two to install. There is some functionality that is being created in .NET. However to install .NET 2.0 runtime it takes around 30 minutes. How can I reduce this time?

2. My application is a 32 bit application. Do I need to do install 32 bit .NET or 64 bit .NET for a 64 bit machine?

Please help.

Best Regards,
    Vishal
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Vishal,

For your first question, you cannot reduce the time of installing .NET Framework 2.0.
    The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. Based on my knowledge, the installation of .NET Framework includes actions like copying files, writing some registry values, setting some environmental variables. The duration of installation depends on the time to do these actions.

For the second question, I think that you should install X64 .NET Framework since the .NET Framework is designed for the supported Operating System. For .NET Framework 2.0 Redistributable Package (x64), it contains both the 64-bit and 32-bit runtime in one convenient setup.
    See: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b44a0000-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00#Requirements
    So it can support the 32 bit application.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:02 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Vishal,

For your first question, you cannot reduce the time of installing .NET Framework 2.0.
    The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. Based on my knowledge, the installation of .NET Framework includes actions like copying files, writing some registry values, setting some environmental variables. The duration of installation depends on the time to do these actions.

For the second question, I think that you should install X64 .NET Framework since the .NET Framework is designed for the supported Operating System. For .NET Framework 2.0 Redistributable Package (x64), it contains both the 64-bit and 32-bit runtime in one convenient setup.
    See: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b44a0000-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00#Requirements
    So it can support the 32 bit application.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:02 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:09 AM
  • Hi Chen,

Thanks for the reply. It really helps.

Best Regards,
    Vishal
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:15 AM
  • Hi Chen,

One more question.

My application also installs on Windows XP 32 bit. In this case I will have to ship the .NET 32 bit right?

So my application CD will either end up having both versions of .NET or I will have to create separate CDs for 32 and 64 bit. Is my understanding correct?

Best Regards,
    Vishal
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Hi Vishal,

Yes, you're right. If you want to have both versions of .NET Framework in one CD, you can write one Readme file to illustrate which .NET Framework should be applied for different OS.

Thanks
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:10 AM