How to manage a text-heavy app? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is more of a discussion or a question...

I am in the process of putting together a more information based application that has a lot of text to it but cannot figure out the best way to manage the text.  The text will have sections to it like: keyword, description, suggestions, resources. Sometimes I will need to reference certain sections of the overall text.  Because the text will grow and often change, I was also looking for a system that makes it all easy to manage..

My initial thought was to create a database but it seems that it's not ideal for a Store App to make use of databases.  Second thought was through XML files, can get slow to parse through if the XML is large or if there are multiple and the app is constantly opening and closing.

Ultimately: What is the best method to handling text in a text-heavy store app?

Thanks for the help!

With every experience comes more knowledge. Learn that knowledge and use it later in life.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• it seems that it's not ideal for a Store App to make use of databases

Why not? If it makes sense for the app then databases are good things.

--Rob

Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:55 AM
  • I like to use MS solutions and figured if MSFT didn't build SQL CE or any SQL into Windows Store Apps then they must not want you to use DB's...
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 2:57 AM
  • There are great 3rd party libraries for many things which aren't available in-box, including databases. In particular, SQLite is available for Windows Store apps. See Using SQLite in Windows 8 Store Apps

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Hansonc Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:14 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:24 AM