No "Primary output" option RRS feed

• Question

• User-152968932 posted

Hi,

I have a asp.net web project. And want to make a setup for it. I have added a web deployment project to the soultion.
    And in file system view I try to add the Primary output from my web project. In the Web Application folder.
    But in the "Add In Project OutPut Group" dialog box, there is only one entry to choose from, "Content Files". Where is the  "Primary output"?
    When I add the content files output, and do a Installation I only get the source files. Not a any compiled files like App.Code.DLL.
    This is maybe a realy simple little thing, but i can't find the answer.

Best Regards

Pål

Friday, February 16, 2007 7:09 AM

All replies

• User652355303 posted

Hi,

I have the same problem too...

Any help will be appreciated..

berkx 

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:11 AM
  • User1434656350 posted

hi ........ i have also same problem........ [:'(]

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:41 AM
  • User796746907 posted

Hi Everyone,

If you are choosing the website Content Files to put into your web setup project, you will not get any precompiled binaries/dlls installed (as you are already seeing).  What you will get are your code files copied out to your installaion location.  However, your installed website should still run.

To get your setup project to install compiled DLLs instead of exposing all your code files, you need to define the web setup project file's Project Output to be the WDP outputs (not the website "Content Files").  To do this, try the following:

1. Have your solution include website project + WDP + web setup project
    2. Rt. click websetup project -> Add -> Project Output
    3. Expand "Project" dropdown and select your WDP project
    4. Choose "precompiled web outputs" and OK

You do not need to add your website's Content Files at all.  Adding the WDP output will take care of it all.  If you then build and install your setup project, you will see dlls in the bin folder instead of the source files.

Hope this helps!
    -Alison

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:30 AM
  • User652355303 posted

Hi Alison,

Thanks for this post in details. It's the one of a kind that I applied to my project...

.NET is BROTHERHOOD.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:41 AM
  • User1823834044 posted

Thanks a ton fro your post . It helped me to deploy my application with out displaying the source code. Really v good article

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:13 AM
  • User-420375923 posted

this is becoz u had created a web site.

Do the following step for example:

1-choose a  new ->project ->Web application.

2-then try to add web setup for this web application.

3-right click the web setup->add project output  you may get the "primary output"

please choose web application instead of web site

Thanks

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:15 AM
  • User279673553 posted

Hi..

I cannot find 'Primary Output' Option..

Eventhough I did Process like Add-->New Project---->Web Setup

Web Setup is added to my solution explorer..When i Right Click on Web setup--->Add--->Project Output..I can see only one option 'Content Files'..

Even i try Rightclcik on Websetup--->View--->File system--->Web Aplication folder exists on my right side panel..I right click on that ..Add---> project Output--->

Same Only Content File is existing..

How to add my websetup files to Primary Output..Can any One have idea..

And another thing i cannot fing Asp.Net web applicatiion opetion in my templaets?

How to do setup file without source code files?

Can any one help me to these problems..

Thanks..

K.Arpitha

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:07 AM
  • User279673553 posted

I cannot Find Asp.Net WEB APPLICATION in my Templates..I have only Web Site..

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:14 AM
  • User164730059 posted

see the below link and you will get the .dll of ur project

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx

Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:35 AM
  • User796746907 posted

File -> New Website... is where you find all your asp.net website templates.  If you want to create a new asp.net web application project, you will need to go to File Menu -> New Project... instead.

-Alison

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:13 PM