MediaCapture and App Freeze up

Question

• Hi,

I am using MediaCapture for Video taking. It has been working fine but recently it freeze up the app. There is no error message when it freezes up the app during the video taking.

What I need to do?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:46 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Are you handling the MediaCapture.Failed event? What device hardware are you using to reproduce the problem? There is a known driver issue with some Lumia models that cause the camera subsystem to become unresponsive. Unfortunately there is no workaround for this issue but we hope to have a fix in a future version of the operating system.

Thanks,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Monday, March 2, 2015 10:16 PM

All replies

• I'll ask our media guy to check out this post.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:41 PM
  • Hello,

If you are able to reproduce the issue under the debugger, you should be able to break into the app when it freezes. You can then generate a dump file, zip it up (please don't use RAR), upload it to your OneDrive and post the link here. Once uploaded I'll take a look at it and see if I can suggest what might be causing the issue.

Thanks,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:57 PM
  • Hi James,

I had tested the app (for Enterprise) many times before releasing. My customer just told me so recently and I could not reproduce. Let me ask some questions first to see what I can do.

This is the flow:

P1 -> P2

1.  When use click a button in P1 , it will lead the user to P2 where MediaCapture api is deployed.

2. In the OnNavigated event in P2, the MediaCapture is initialized and called.

The problems:

- There is no camera being shown or opened for at least 23 seconds. No error message shown.

Why the Camera is not fired up? and No Error message.

What I need to do?

Thanks

Thursday, February 26, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Hello,

Are you handling the MediaCapture.Failed event? What device hardware are you using to reproduce the problem? There is a known driver issue with some Lumia models that cause the camera subsystem to become unresponsive. Unfortunately there is no workaround for this issue but we hope to have a fix in a future version of the operating system.

Thanks,

James

Monday, March 2, 2015 10:16 PM