Filtering Issue "Can't display the data because Power BI can't determine the relationship between two or more field" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My PowerBI model looks like this :

And my (very basic) reporting like this :

When I want to select LBL_TX i'm getting the following error :

If i create a Calculated Member, as for example :

Then i can select this calculated member and the report don't crash.

But i don't want to create and use calculated member i don't need.

How can i achieve this with my own model ?

Sample file attached : Sample file

Thx for your help.

Regards

Bertrandr

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 6:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Bertrandr,

In PowerBI, there are not many-to-many relationship. For your basic report, there BDX[LBL_BDX] relate to many TX[LBL_TX], and TX[LBL_TX] relate to several BDX[LBL_BDX]. So it's unable to achieve to your requirement. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:29 AM
  • Hi Bertrand,

re your "... But i don't want to create and use calculated member i don't need. ...".

You need it, as this is the workaround for the many2many problem in PowerPivot in it's simplest form: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/optimize-many-to-many-calculation-in-dax-with-summarize-and-cross-table-filtering/

It's the simplest for for m2m in Excel.

Imke Feldmann
    MVP Data Platform
    TheBIccountant.com

Sunday, April 16, 2017 7:47 AM
    Answerer
  • Please kindly mark the correct solutions as answers, this could be beneficial to other community members who are facing similar issue. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:45 AM
    Answerer