none
EF6, refreshing large DB-first entity model taking forever in VS 2015 on Windows 10, compared to VS 2015 on Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 my entity model has been nearly impossible to update.  It takes forever to open the model designer, then forever to right click the designer to bring up the context menu to select "Update model from database".  Opening the same model in VS 2015 but on Windows 8.1 is much, much faster.  It doesn't seem to be just my machine since the same is happening for our other developers on Windows 10.  But those on Windows 8.1 have no problems.

But in VS 2015 on Windows 10 the entire UI thread becomes unresponsive for about 20 minutes or more between each step to get the model updated (opening the model designer, right-clicking the diagram, selecting "update..." from pop-up menu, etc).  I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot or diagnose the problem but it is destroying my productivity.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:30 PM

Answers

• It may be one of the drawbacks in going to an O/S that is fresh out the gate. I know my company I work for went to high performance server machines for all developers, because VS2013 on Win 7 was so slow on workstation class machines.  

VS2013 and TSF Express 2013 on my Win 10 pro machine didn't work for sometime, because they could not communicate on the same machine. A Win 10 update some update recently fixed the VS and TFS 2013 communications problems.

Now just today this morning, I discovered that the Outlook Web app I use for emails with the company that worked when the machine was Win 8 no longer works now that the machine is Win 10.

It is what it is for now with Win ten ten acting like Ren ten ten with both being dogs! :)

• Marked as answer by Fred BaoModerator Wednesday, September 9, 2015 1:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stone216 Monday, September 21, 2015 4:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stone216 Monday, September 21, 2015 4:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 7:06 PM