LightSwitch Silverlight Desktop Client can't publish to Azure with SSL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently upgraded from VS2012 to VS2013. Part of the process was to upgrade an old Silverlight LightSwitch project with a Desktop client (no HTML Client on the project). After this process I am unable to publish to Azure using the same HTTPS settings that I used in the past. If I publish without HTTPS, the publish is successful. With HTTPS though, the publish seems to be successful in VS, but when opening the Azure Portal, there is nothing available on the Cloud Service that I published to. The SSL Certificate is from a valid CA and I have tried re-keying the certificate as well.

More details on this thread. There are no errors and it doesn't seem to be project specific since I run into the same problem when creating a brand new LightSwitch project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Pieter van Aarde

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For those interested, I was able to finally resolve this.

In the Azure Cloud Service operation logs I encountered an error that pointed me to the .cscfg and .csdef files. The error had to do with the files not being able to validate against each other. Looking at this thread, I noticed that the Microsoft.LightSwitch.RequireEncryption setting was completely missing from both my files. I added the details as per the example, and published successfully.

What I don't understand though, is why the same tag is missing in a brand new LightSwitch project created in VS2013... Also would be good to have these Azure errors displayed in the VS IDE after a publish.

In any case, I am once again able to publish, at long last.

Regards,

Pieter van Aarde

• Marked as answer by BETER-PvA Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Further to this problem I have tried publishing a brand new LightSwitch project (created in VS2013) to an empty Azure Cloud Service. I have the same problem of nothing appearing in Azure after the publish is complete in VS. I have also tried using a new self-signed SSL certificate when publishing this new project, but encounter the same result.

When publishing the new project without SSL, then it works as expected. This is also the case when publishing my old upgraded project without SSL.

Is there anywhere I can find log files for the publish process? I have searched online, but most debugging / logging caters for running the project / application, not the publishing of it to Azure.

Please help. Currently our application is running without SSL which isn't ideal at all.

Kind regards,

Pieter van Aarde

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:55 AM
  • Hi,

For those interested, I was able to finally resolve this.

In the Azure Cloud Service operation logs I encountered an error that pointed me to the .cscfg and .csdef files. The error had to do with the files not being able to validate against each other. Looking at this thread, I noticed that the Microsoft.LightSwitch.RequireEncryption setting was completely missing from both my files. I added the details as per the example, and published successfully.

What I don't understand though, is why the same tag is missing in a brand new LightSwitch project created in VS2013... Also would be good to have these Azure errors displayed in the VS IDE after a publish.

In any case, I am once again able to publish, at long last.

Regards,

Pieter van Aarde

• Marked as answer by BETER-PvA Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:57 AM