How to set up a virtual directory for a project in TFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I once saw someone create a virtual directory for an Asp.net project using TFS. I can't figure out how to do this though. As I recall there was some type of tab looking window within the TFS IDE where there was an option to create a virtual directory. Can someone tell me how to do this?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Jeff. Possibly this will help you to understand what I mean. Take a look at this website:
    http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/HelloWorld/Helloworld.aspx

Look at the very last dialog box shown at the bottom of the page. See the radio button for creating a virtual directory? See the dialog box I am referring to?

Ok, so the way Scott brings up this configuration dialog box is to right click on the project and select properties. I have tried that and am not able to bring up the configuration dialog boxes shown.

If you don't know how to do this, that is okay my friend. But possibly someone else knows how to do it.

• Marked as answer by williamguy Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Ok, that makes more sense now.  This is a Visual Studio feature - not TFS.

I am able to bring up the same properties dialog that Scott shows in Visual Studio 2008 & 2010 (I have verified this on two separate machines).  You will see these properties for Web Applications only - not Web Sites.  If you happen to be using Visual Studio 2005 (without SP1) then you'll need to install the Web Application Project add-in to get these features.

Hope this helps.
    --- Thanks, Jeff (http://devmatter.blogspot.com/)
    • Proposed as answer by Sanjeev.Kumar Friday, February 26, 2010 12:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, March 1, 2010 2:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Thank you for Jeff's kindly help.

Hi Williamguy,

As Jeff mentioned, the feature of "virtual directory" is Visual Studio IDE feature instead of Team Explorer.

For Team Explorer, when we install it with Visual Studio products, it will be integrated into VS IDE. Thus, we can apply Team Explorer in VS IDE which makes us think that they're the same product. In fact, Team Explorer shares the shell of Visual Studio IDE. However, it doesn't mean that it contains the same feature as Visual Studio IDE.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by williamguy Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:30 AM

All replies

• I believe what you're referring to is the Web Deployment Projecs which is a separate install for Visual Studio 2005/2008.  There's nothing inherent to TFS specifically for creating virtual directories (although there are several custom build task libraries out there that can do this).

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:46 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

No, I am not referring to Web Deployment projects. Somewhere in the IDE in TFS there is an option to create a virtual directory for a website. As I recall the prompt to do this is located within a tab shaped gray dialog box that fits withing the IDE in TFS. The singular tab lays to the left side of the screen and is a grey style dialog box) Possibly someone else knows what I am talking about?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:13 AM
  • When you refer to the "IDE in TFS" are you referring to the Team Explorer client (i.e. the Team Explorer tab next to the Solution Explorer tab in Visual Studio)?  If that's the case, then there is nothing in the Team Explorer client for creating virtual directories - at least out of the box.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:21 AM
  • Hi Jeff. Possibly this will help you to understand what I mean. Take a look at this website:
    http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/HelloWorld/Helloworld.aspx

Look at the very last dialog box shown at the bottom of the page. See the radio button for creating a virtual directory? See the dialog box I am referring to?

Ok, so the way Scott brings up this configuration dialog box is to right click on the project and select properties. I have tried that and am not able to bring up the configuration dialog boxes shown.

If you don't know how to do this, that is okay my friend. But possibly someone else knows how to do it.

• Marked as answer by williamguy Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Ok, that makes more sense now.  This is a Visual Studio feature - not TFS.

I am able to bring up the same properties dialog that Scott shows in Visual Studio 2008 & 2010 (I have verified this on two separate machines).  You will see these properties for Web Applications only - not Web Sites.  If you happen to be using Visual Studio 2005 (without SP1) then you'll need to install the Web Application Project add-in to get these features.

Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by Sanjeev.Kumar Friday, February 26, 2010 12:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, March 1, 2010 2:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Thank you for Jeff's kindly help.

Hi Williamguy,

As Jeff mentioned, the feature of "virtual directory" is Visual Studio IDE feature instead of Team Explorer.

For Team Explorer, when we install it with Visual Studio products, it will be integrated into VS IDE. Thus, we can apply Team Explorer in VS IDE which makes us think that they're the same product. In fact, Team Explorer shares the shell of Visual Studio IDE. However, it doesn't mean that it contains the same feature as Visual Studio IDE.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by williamguy Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:58 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Hi Williamguy,

Does the above suggestion work?

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, February 26, 2010 3:38 AM