none
CAB - What's the point? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm working on an application that uses the Component Application Block and the MVP design pattern. I've just started using this so I'm no expert. Can anyone tell me why if I add a constructor to a presenter class it would blow up at run time?

More importantly, is there ever a good reason to use CAB? So far I'm appalled and don't see a reason to ever use it. Certainly not in the case of this application...

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:51 PM

All replies

• I might be able to help you with your MVP issue with your presenter class if you post your class before and also after adding the constructor.  With what you have said above there just isen't enough information to go on.

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:57 AM
  • Thanks for your response. It was getting the error in some external CAB code but I figured out that if I explicitly mark the constructor public (which I wasn't before) it took care of the error. Still wondering if anyone just loves CAB though. Thanks again.

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Over the weekend, while filing my taxes, I noticed that TurboTax says Initializing Cab framework. I'm assuming it means Component Application Block. It appears to use it quite well so maybe one answer is that CAB can be useful in a wizard driven environment...

Still don't think it offers anything you can't do w/out cab just easily though.

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Hi xr280xr,

I'm not defending CAB. Just want to let you know that there are certain documents explaining application scenarios (surely saying that CAB is an ALWAYS MUST solution is a wrong assertment, "there's no silver bullet" said Frederick Brooks Jr by 1986)

Hope that helps

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:28 AM