none
GIT Vs TFS to manage my visual studio professional 2012 source code and versioning

Question

• I am using visual studio 2012 professional, to code many web applications especially asp.net mvc. Now I have my visual studio installed inside my dev machine. So when I want to do my development work I login remotely to my Dev machine, open Vs and do the work. And I manually manage my versioning by copying the project folder, before implementing any new change. So I can revert back to my project before hvin the new features implemented.

Now I want to have a more reliable approach and an approach which allow many developers to work on the same project.

I have read many tools which aid me in managing my project source code and versioning mainly Git and TFS, but as this area is new to me so can anyone advice on these points please:-

-        What are the main differences between GIT and TFS ? keeping in mind that I would still be using VS 2012 professional to do the actual development work.

-        Now when I install either GIT or TFS. What will be the high level architecture ? I mean will this be the development architecture:-

• Each developer will have VS installed inside his/her machine.
    • But the actual project files will be inside the dev server (where the GIT or TFS is installed )?
    • Developer using their VS will check-in , check out the project files from their machines?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:13 PM

Answers

• Hi johnjohn123,

>>What are the main differences between GIT and TFS ?

Git is a distributed version control tool, developers can use Git to store the code to the local code library or network code library (or code hosting server) for management. The famous git hosting server has TFS, GitHub, GoogleCode, BitBucket and CodePlex.

You could install Git extension in your VS, then you can use Git to check into the code. If you use TFS as a code hosting server, you can continue to use TFS's powerful application life cycle management tools.

>>Now when I install either GIT or TFS. What will be the high level architecture

You could install Git tools from the following link. In my VS2015 Enterprise I could install Git by VS set up file, Git tool has been bundled in it.

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/abafc7d6-dcaa-40f4-8a5e-d6724bdb980c

Document about installing TFS:

https://www.visualstudio.com/da-dk/docs/setup-admin/install-tfs/get-started

>>But the actual project files will be inside the dev server (where the GIT or TFS is installed )?

Git has been installed in VS, and TFS has been installed in server client.

>>Developer using their VS will check-in , check out the project files from their machines

For small development team of less than 5 people, we can use it to maintain their own code for free.

More information about TFS please refer to the following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=13350

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:22 AM