SQL Server 2014: Missing System Adminstrator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using windows 8 and I have only one user in laptop. While installing SQL 2014, I am getting an error (Missing System Administrator). Under SQL Server Agent and SQL Server Database I have select the system user and gave the password but still I am getting the error.

Can anyone please help me how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.

NRC

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:33 AM

Answers

• ... provide at least one Windows account to provision as a SQL Server system administrator.

Hello,

Seems you are in the installation dialog for the SysAdmin definition; you must provide a login and the simplest way is to add your account with the button "Current Account" on bottom left side in this dialog.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by NRC305 Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:19 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:00 AM
  • I agree with Olaf. Seems like your account is only one having admin access so you can add current user or you can create a login and provide admin privileges and try adding  that account hope fully you will succeed

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

• Marked as answer by NRC305 Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:08 AM
  • Check this article..

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/23878.installing-sql-server-2014-step-by-step-tutorial.aspx

In step 12 and the picture above, there is the option to add SQL administrators. That is what you need to do.

As Olaf said you can click on "Add Current User" or click on "Add" and add another user as system administrator. I always add the SQL Server DBA group using the "Add" option.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hello, can you post the full error message please?  Including the error message number, state number etc.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped. Tony C.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:36 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Here is the complete error:

[Error Message]
    Missing system administrator account. To continue, provide at least one Windows account to provision as a SQL Server system administrator.

[Details]
    Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.ValidationException: Missing system administrator account. To continue, provide at least one Windows account to provision as a SQL Server system administrator.
    ================================================================================

Thanks,

NRC

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:48 AM
  • ... provide at least one Windows account to provision as a SQL Server system administrator.

Hello,

Seems you are in the installation dialog for the SysAdmin definition; you must provide a login and the simplest way is to add your account with the button "Current Account" on bottom left side in this dialog.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by NRC305 Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:19 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:00 AM
  • I agree with Olaf. Seems like your account is only one having admin access so you can add current user or you can create a login and provide admin privileges and try adding  that account hope fully you will succeed

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:08 AM
  • Check this article..

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/23878.installing-sql-server-2014-step-by-step-tutorial.aspx

In step 12 and the picture above, there is the option to add SQL administrators. That is what you need to do.

As Olaf said you can click on "Add Current User" or click on "Add" and add another user as system administrator. I always add the SQL Server DBA group using the "Add" option.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog - http:\\sqllearnings.com

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:14 AM
  • Olaf, Shanky and Ashwin Thanks for the reply and thanks for the help.

NRC

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 10:19 AM
  • Click button to add current window user (that is provide to SQL server must)...if you not create user and password of your system them make user and password...Then 100% working..
    Friday, August 31, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Hi All,
    One more important thing is that you need to install the application in admin mood. Start application as an administrator .
    Monday, August 26, 2019 9:33 AM