none
SaveAs throws COMException 0x800A13E8 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for some insight into an error code a customer is getting.  The trace shows the error is a COMException with ErrorCode: 0x800A13E8  (-2146823192).

the call is:
    at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.DocumentClass.SaveAs()

I've done a quick search on the error code but no results.

The user can save and edit documents but the OM throws the exception.  Any explanation of this error code could be helpfull.

Thanks,
    Al

Al
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hello Al,

You need to check if correct parameters are given to the method. And check if they work if the document is open in the ProtectedViewWindow.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Friday, July 8, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi Al,

Have you resolved your problem yet? If you still need any assistant, just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:01 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

Thanks for checking in.  Still an issue with the customer and still looking for meaning to the error code.

This happens on a network drive.  I suspect permissions or path resolution. 

Thanks,

Al

Al
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Hi Al,

Does the scenario also happen in the local drive? If not, it must be the access permission of the local drive. I searched the error code through the search engine, but could hardly get the information about this error.

You can try to set Full control to the network drive for users to see whether it works well on your customer's side. And here is the article:

http://www.rhyshaden.com/nt_flder.htm

Hope this can help you and wish you a nice day.

Best Regards, 

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:27 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:27 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Hi Al,

If you still need any assistant, just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Monday, July 18, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

Issue came up again and I have some more insight into the problem.  

The error occurs when the network path has a mapped drive letter.  Then Word._Document.SaveAs is called using the UNC path.   Occurs with Win XP - Win 7, Word 2007 & 2010 (SP applied).

I prefer to use UNC path, it is best pratice since not all uses will have the same mappings.

i.e

Mapp a drive letter to a network resouce with documents:  z:\...\Documents\   =   \\server\...\Documents\

In an application with word automation, reference MS.Office.Interop.Word version 12

(pseudo code below)

{

wdDoc = App.Documents.Open(  "\\server\...\Documents\testfile.doc" ,...);

// Note!??  wdDoc.FullName = z:\...\Documents\testfile.doc

wdDoc.SaveAs( "\\server\...\Documents\testfile.doc",...)    // will throw COMException 0x800A13E8

wdDoc.SaveAs200( "\\server\...\Documents\testfile.doc",...); // will throw exceptioin too

wdDoc.SaveAs( "z:\...\Documents\testfile.doc", ...);   // Works as a hack, but bad practice

}

Also Same code in a VBA project will succeed!??

ThisDocument.SaveAs  "\\server\...\Documents\testfile.doc"

Al

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:10 PM