none
Listbox like control for word Ribbon?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

is there a ListBox/Listview type control available for Word 2007 Ribbon?

i know i can get similar functionality out of the drop down controls, but my requirement is to display the items in a listbox manner...

any thoughts?

thanks!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:40 PM

Answers

• yes, i have written an entire class that wraps all the ribbon controls and can completely automate word. im trying my best to stick with the KISS philosophy (Keep it simple stupid ;)  ) ...which leads back to using WinForms to catch the focus and attention of screen readers. I think this may be the best option for my particular scenario. one of the most popular screen readers for blind people is JAWS, it has many issues with the Office Task Pane...so im going to stay clear from that possible disaster ;)

Thank you,

Don

Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think for this case better you can use CustomTaskPane to display the Listbox or whatever the controls you want.

Otherwise can also use Winforms to display the controls.

venugopal
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Hi "dotnetapps"

I have a bit of trouble imagining how a listbox could display effectively, given the vertical limitations of the Ribbon? Even if it could, the user would still have to "click and scroll", so I'm not sure what the advantage would be over some kind of dropdown...

Closest the Ribbon has are those galleries, like Word has for "Quick Styles", but they are unfortunately not available for the deveoper - MS has reserved them for itself.

So, if you can't use venugopal's suggestion about a custom task pane or Windows form, then it will have to be a dropdown, a menu, or a gallery.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Thank you guys,

i was using WinForms, but it wasn't really keeping consistency with the rest of the application/plug-in... i am currently using a gallery control, ideally i would like to have it look like what Cindy mentioned, what Microsoft has reserved... my specs are to have a control that will contain thumbnail images with their name to the right, a typical WinForms ListView control... Scrolling a ListView or how many items being visibly displayed would not be a concern.

I haven't explored the CustomTaskPane yet, i will look into that this morning.

thank you both for your reply!

Don

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Hi Don

A custom task pane can hold WinForms and even WPF controls. You just create a UserControl with what you want, assign that to the Controls collection of a CTP (VSTO takes care of "wrapping it up") and you should be good-to-go...

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Thanks Cindy,

This word plug-in that im working on is designed for people with low vision or whom are blind, they use their screen readers and magnifiers in combination with my plugin to do what office 2003 use to support, Optical Character Recognition. I tried the Custom Task Pane only to find out that it causes focus issues within word, which makes it extremely difficult for a blind individual to navigate and receive feedback...  due to this obstacle i believe my only option would be using WinForms for dialog prompts and user input.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Don

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Hi Don

Hmmm. I don't know if this helps or not, but the Ribbon does have an Accessibility API.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb404170.aspx

Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:05 PM
  • yes, i have written an entire class that wraps all the ribbon controls and can completely automate word. im trying my best to stick with the KISS philosophy (Keep it simple stupid ;)  ) ...which leads back to using WinForms to catch the focus and attention of screen readers. I think this may be the best option for my particular scenario. one of the most popular screen readers for blind people is JAWS, it has many issues with the Office Task Pane...so im going to stay clear from that possible disaster ;)

Thank you,

Don

Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:52 PM