Office Automization components gives error in server ( RRS feed

• Question

• User-1011137159 posted

I have used Microsoft office automisation word compoents in my asp.net MVC application and when I have run my code on my server (iis7) it gives me below error

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {000209FF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

So How can I resolve this error. Microsoft office is not intalled on server so do I need to install it? is there any other way to manipulate word files without installing word in server.

Also I have implemented lot of things in my application so right it is very difficult to move with another step.

Thanks,

Amit

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:27 AM

Answers

• User2130758966 posted

Yes you need to install a licensed copy of Microsoft Office on the server for this to work, however Microsoft specifically recommends against performing office automation on the server:

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

There are alternatives. The best ones are paid for and make it easy for you to convert documents and keep formatting.

There are some good free ones available as well:

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:11 AM