ms project RRS feed

• Question

• hi

im trying to synch ms project and TFS together and finding it a bit difficult.
    I opened a Scenario task from team foundation by selecting, 'open selection in ms project'....after doing this i made subtasks with start and finish dates set in project and then published it. 

the problem arises when i noticed i cant assign it to anyone from within Project so i assigned the tasks from TFS and as soon as i do that i lose my start and finish dates in MS Project.

any ideas why ?
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is your MS Project connected to Project Server?

If no, you can add the users to the project using Tools ==> Assign Resources. You can select these users in the "Resource Name" field of MS Project.

Save and publish to TFS. The selected Task will be assigned to the correct Resource.

If the MS project is connected with the project server, things are more easy. Project Server already have the name of all Active Director users. You have to just select them.

Tools ==> Build Team for Enterprise....(The added users will be displayed in Resource name filed in MS Project...Select the user...save it and publish it to TFS)

Regards
    Rahul

Rahul Hameed (TFS & Build Management)
    • Proposed as answer by Bill.Wang Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:48 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:51 AM
  • The start and finish date fields are marked as publish only. They are not updated in ms project when you export from TFS, that's the reason why you're losing them. In the following thread you can obtain more information about this and a workaround:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsgeneral/thread/5350ce98-3d91-46af-b2bd-872e728d32e6

Hope it helps...

Best regards
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is your MS Project connected to Project Server?

If no, you can add the users to the project using Tools ==> Assign Resources. You can select these users in the "Resource Name" field of MS Project.

Save and publish to TFS. The selected Task will be assigned to the correct Resource.

If the MS project is connected with the project server, things are more easy. Project Server already have the name of all Active Director users. You have to just select them.

Tools ==> Build Team for Enterprise....(The added users will be displayed in Resource name filed in MS Project...Select the user...save it and publish it to TFS)

Regards
    Rahul

Rahul Hameed (TFS & Build Management)
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:51 AM
  • The start and finish date fields are marked as publish only. They are not updated in ms project when you export from TFS, that's the reason why you're losing them. In the following thread you can obtain more information about this and a workaround:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfsgeneral/thread/5350ce98-3d91-46af-b2bd-872e728d32e6

Hope it helps...

Best regards
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:44 PM