how to create an application based on PowerPivot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a newbie and have just started reading about PowerPivot.  Question: How does one build an application that is based on PowerPivot? Say the data model is present in PowerPivot, and i need to write out a input flatfile (containing the datamodel), I already have an application which can read this input flatfile, write out an output flatfile, and i need to export the output flatfile back to PowerPivot (for reporting, further analysis).  How can one do this? I mean does one need to use some VBA code, or .net code, or Perl scripting (preferred since i know perl and vba) to read from the powerpivot, create the input flatfile, run the application, and export the output flatfile back to PowerPivot for reporting?

Is there any example that you could point to which i could use to start my application? 

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you in advance

Lukka_Dam

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

As far as I know you still can not access the Power Pivot Engine from outside Excel/Addin only a bit with internal VBA, see Query Power Pivot DMVs with VBA as an exmple

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Enric Vives Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Sunday, August 28, 2016 7:18 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:21 AM
  • hi Enric,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and your pointers to the example.  I will spend some time to understand the example and try it out.

thanks again

lukka_dam

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hi Lukka_Dam, i think you want to write Olaf instead of my name ?

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:38 PM