Hyper-V : Unique Identifier or MachineGUID RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am using Hyper-V Manager from Microsoft Corporation Version:6.2.9200.16384.
    I am facing this issue regarding Unique Identifier(MachineGUID) of a virtual machine.
    The clones in Hyper-V manager are not having Unique UUID/GUID. The UUIDs are also cloned which is creating the problem in identifying unique VMs.
    I have made sure that in the "Import Virtual machine" wizard, at the step "Chose Import Type", I select "Copy the virtual machine(create a new unique ID)".
    The detailed steps followed for windows and linux VMs are as follows: 

[ Windows Platform ]:
    I have the "machine-W"(Windows) in Hyper-V Manager. It has a MachineGUID.
    I check the GUID in registry location: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE >Microsoft >Cryptography >MachineGuid"
    The output is: 1c5bf86d-22d1-42c1-ad91-50f44675097b
    I export it.
    I re-import this machine using "Import Virtual Machine" wizard in the Action menu of Hyper-V manager.
    I make sure that at the step "Chose Import Type", I select "Copy the virtual machine(create a new unique ID)"
    When the import is finished, I rename it as "machine-W-clone"
    What I find is that when I power on the "machine-W-clone". It shows the same GUID.
    I check the GUID in registry location: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE >Microsoft >Cryptography >MachineGuid"
    The output is: 1c5bf86d-22d1-42c1-ad91-50f44675097b . This is same as of "machine-W".
    I then export the machines "machine-W" and "machine-W-clone".
    I see in their respective xml files in "Virtual Machines" folder that they use different global logical-id to identify
      the vitual machines in Hyper-V manager.
    Following is an extract from the xml file:
        <settings>
        <global>
          <logical_id type="string">C4D15772-632B-442E-82D4-8CD2B0C99807</logical_id>
        </global>
    </settings>

[ Linux Platform ]: 
    I have the "machine-L"(Linux) in Hyper-V Manager. It has a Machine MachineGUID.
    I check the its UUID/GUID using this command: "dmidecode -s system-uuid"
    The output is: 1F0DCE4F-E7B4-5449-A257-8F6952E5451F
    I export it.
    I re-import this machine using "Import Virtual Machine" wizard in the Action menu of Hyper-V manager.
    I make sure that at the step "Chose Import Type" I select "Copy the virtual machine(create a new unique ID)"
    When the import is finished, I rename it as "machine-L-clone"
    What I find is that when I power on the "machine-L-clone". It shows the same GUID.
    I check the UUID using this command on the command prompt of "machine-L-clone": "dmidecode -s system-uuid"
    The output is: 1F0DCE4F-E7B4-5449-A257-8F6952E5451F . This is same as of "machine-L".
    I then export the machines machine-L and machine-L-clone.
    I see in their respective xml files in "Virtual Machines" folder that they use different global logical-id to identify
      the vitual machines in Hyper-V manager.

My Questions are:
    1. If global logical-id is different from MachineGUID, how can I access this global logical_id inside the windows virtual machine itself?
    2. If global logical_id is different from SystemUUID, how can I access this global logical_id inside the linux virtual machine itself?
    3. Is there any other unique identifier for a machine in Hyper-V that can be accessed inside the virtual machine itself?

• Changed type Chetan Dua Friday, January 13, 2017 9:52 AM
    • Edited by Chetan Dua Friday, January 13, 2017 10:25 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 9:50 AM

All replies

• I am having the same issue. Both Cloned and original VM is having a same UUID. Chetan, did you got any answer from Microsoft ?
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:53 PM
  • Not I did not get an answer.

But we have found a way out.

1. Turn Off the machine you want to clone.

2. Make as many copies of VHDs as the number of clones you want. 

3. Use the "New virtual machine" wizard and use the copied VHD to make a new machine.

4. Turn On and check the new UUID. Its different.

Though its not a recommended way of cloning but it served our purpose.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 4:22 AM