Explorer view RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Does anyone know, if when you set an upload limit to a certain web application, if that limit is also in place, if a user tried to copy/paste documents via library explorer view. That is of course, is that document(s), exceeds the limit.

The problems is, that a client is experiencing some performance issues, and they suspect large uploads to be the problem. But the upload limit is set to 100MB, so i am not so sure, upload is what causing it.

But say someone tried to copy/paste a set of folders, that was 50GB, would that be possible? And if not, could it still be the cause of heavy load on the web application?

Any ideas?

mic

• Edited by MichaelIT02 Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:48 PM

Answers

• Mic,

Very unlikely explorer usage is the cause:

a. explorer view also obeys the thresholds imposed by SharePoint (e..g maximum file size 100 MB). This is a server-side limit.
    b. explorer view has an additional client-side limit.
    See HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters
    named FileSizeLimitInBytes.
    on my win 10 system this is set to 50000000

c. explorer only uses a single process

What may happen is that many people use explorer view at the same time (for browsing) and explorer view is very chatty. If you have access to the IIS logs I would check out the user-agent field for each log entry.

Paul | SLIM Applications

• Marked as answer by MichaelIT02 Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:02 PM
  • croute1 is correct.  File upload limit is 2 GB.  This is a web application boundary.  Opening a connection to a SharePoint library using Windows Explorer does not bypass the web application boundaries.  

References

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:39 PM

All replies

• 50GB???? How it's possible? Size upload limit is 2GB at maximum

FabioA

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Hi mic- no, not possible. Explorer view doesn't bypass the max upload size. It will error out just like a regular upload.

cameron rautmann

• Proposed as answer by Stephan Bren Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:27 PM
  • It was just a crazy example.

And yet, a user might still try to upload a far larger amount that actually possible. The question was more about what happens if they try.

mic

• Edited by MichaelIT02 Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Hi Cameron,

Are you certain of that? No idea myself, just need to be sure :-).
    And also..should a user try anyway, and attempt to copy/paste a very large amount of documents, it will still take some time for the error to actually present itself right?

Do you know that happens under the hood during if someone tried this?

mic

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:34 PM
  • Will not happened nothing of incredible....he will have a  generic error about document copy. 

FabioA

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Mic,

Very unlikely explorer usage is the cause:

a. explorer view also obeys the thresholds imposed by SharePoint (e..g maximum file size 100 MB). This is a server-side limit.
    b. explorer view has an additional client-side limit.
    See HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters
    named FileSizeLimitInBytes.
    on my win 10 system this is set to 50000000

c. explorer only uses a single process

What may happen is that many people use explorer view at the same time (for browsing) and explorer view is very chatty. If you have access to the IIS logs I would check out the user-agent field for each log entry.

Paul | SLIM Applications

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:02 PM
  • croute1 is correct.  File upload limit is 2 GB.  This is a web application boundary.  Opening a connection to a SharePoint library using Windows Explorer does not bypass the web application boundaries.  

References

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Thanks for the help guys, at the very least, I can now rule this out.

mic

Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:23 PM