Possible to get the current apps display name?

Question

• I did not find an API to get the current apps display name. I currently read it directly from the AppxManifest.xml file.

Did I miss something?

Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:50 AM

All replies

• Do you want the app name or the package name? In most cases you want the latter and can use the Package.DisplayName property.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:35 AM
    Owner
  • Since I have multiple Apps in my package (LOB app) I want indeed the launched apps name :)
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:37 AM
  • Can you explain the scenario? What exactly do you mean by the launched apps name?

The app defines its name and so can provide its own way to query it. If you want to see which applications are in the package then you'll have to read the manifest.

Friday, November 21, 2014 8:38 PM
    Owner
  • My scenario is my extended splashscreen that should show the name of the launched app. "Starting <appname>..."

My package contains several apps (LOB) so the package name is more like a "product name" in my case with several apps like the "issue tracker", "voice recorder" being the apps in those packages. I am reading out the manifest based on the activation appId but I hoped there is a WinRT API for that.

Friday, November 21, 2014 9:58 PM
  • I may not be understanding what you're doing correctly (I think you may have some unstated assumptions about how the app works), but the extended splashscreen runs in the app and so can pick up the name from string resources.
    Wednesday, December 03, 2014 2:18 AM
    Owner
  • I am not sure whats unclear here:

I have several apps defined in my manifest (like the MSFT communication apps). Each app uses the same code to display the extended splashscreen (splash.js).

The question is: How do I get the app that was launched. As for example in the communication apps: "mail", "people" or "calendar"

<Applications>
      <Application StartPage="ModernMail\App\App.html" Id="Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail">
    <Application StartPage="ModernCalendar\app\App.html" Id="Microsoft.WindowsLive.Calendar">
    <Application StartPage="ModernPeople\AppFrame\People.htm" Id="Microsoft.WindowsLive.People">
    </Applications>
    The "Id" is part of the launch contracts "tileId". So I know how to extract the name of the launched app from the manifest. I am asking: Is there an API for that?

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 2:33 AM