none
Finding SQL server installation windows account name

Question

• Hi,

We are going to take handover of a SQL Server instance from a vendor. We need to find out the windows account by which SQL Server Software was installed. Can anyone let me know how can I find out that?

• Moved by Olaf HelperMVP Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:55 AM Moved from "Database Design" to a more related forum
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hello,

For what do you need the account name who installed SQL Server; that account doesn't matter in any way?

If you mean the Service account with which the SQL Server engine runs, then open Windows Service Manager (Services.msc) and lookup the account in the service properties.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:12 AM
  • Checking the log files from when the installation was done will probably give you some insight. The folder name on my machine is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log, adjust to your environment. Under here, you have one folder for each time the setup program was executed and actually did something. I'm using on such folder on my machine, and refer to some files and things to search for:

Details.txt
     SqlAdminAccounts 

ConfigurationFile.ini
     SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Hi Arifulhaq,

Assuming you already have the corresponding SQL Server installation log, instead of looking for sysadmin in detail.txt, you should looking for the temp folder that is being used during installation process. Open details.txt and search for ‘AppData\Local\Temp\’, this should reflect the account that SQL Server installation process is running under. And no, that does not reflect the user who installed SQL Server if they choose to run setup.exe as another user.

Here’s a snippet from details.txt:
    (01) 2016-12-01 10:05:12 Slp: Deleting folder 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\SQL Server 2016'.
    (01) 2016-12-01 10:05:12 Slp: Sco: Directory C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\SQL Server 2016 does not exist

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

For what do you need the account name who installed SQL Server; that account doesn't matter in any way?

If you mean the Service account with which the SQL Server engine runs, then open Windows Service Manager (Services.msc) and lookup the account in the service properties.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:12 AM
  • Checking the log files from when the installation was done will probably give you some insight. The folder name on my machine is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log, adjust to your environment. Under here, you have one folder for each time the setup program was executed and actually did something. I'm using on such folder on my machine, and refer to some files and things to search for:

Details.txt
     SqlAdminAccounts 

ConfigurationFile.ini
     SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Hi Arifulhaq,

Assuming you already have the corresponding SQL Server installation log, instead of looking for sysadmin in detail.txt, you should looking for the temp folder that is being used during installation process. Open details.txt and search for ‘AppData\Local\Temp\’, this should reflect the account that SQL Server installation process is running under. And no, that does not reflect the user who installed SQL Server if they choose to run setup.exe as another user.

Here’s a snippet from details.txt:
    (01) 2016-12-01 10:05:12 Slp: Deleting folder 'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\SQL Server 2016'.
    (01) 2016-12-01 10:05:12 Slp: Sco: Directory C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\SQL Server 2016 does not exist

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 2:59 AM