Mvvm (no framework), FreshMVVM or Prism RRS feed

• Question

• User298276 posted

I'm a newbie with basic knowledge of C#, XAML and Xamarin Forms. I want to develop an app for authors (Outline and Research). It should be cross-platform in the future, but I will focus on UWP in the beginning. To make it "the right way" I want to implement recommended patterns like MVVM. Unfortunately, I'm confused about the best approach. Should I use FreshMVVM, Prism or should I use the posibilities, Xamarin Forms provides by itself?

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:11 AM

Answers

• User76049 posted

+1 for Prism.

I've written two production apps using MVVM Light and I really like the framework but honestly for Forms only dev, it's much easier in Prism, especially passing objects via the navigation service, much better navigation support, convenient ways to handle memory management in 6.3 pre1.

Also there's great support via slack, people will help out here or you can always email Brian who is really helpful.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:51 AM

All replies

• User2148 posted

Maybe useful

https://acaliaro.wordpress.com/2017/02/06/xamarin-forms-and-mvvm-frameworks-part-1-xamarin-formss-specific-frameworks/

https://acaliaro.wordpress.com/2017/01/27/xamarin-forms-and-mvvm-frameworks-part-2-something-else/

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:30 AM
  • User240901 posted

Honestly its entirely down to personal preference. Me personally, I use Prism as the guys pretty much work directly with the Xamarin team; although I have used and still use on occasion MVVMLight.

That being said, Xamarin does provide most of the functionality which MVVM frameworks provide out of the box, I.e Messaging, Navigation, Seperation of View and Model as provided by BindableProperties, etc... So if size is a concern, you don't need to commit to any in particular.

I would seriously check out some of their keynote talks at Evolve 16 and make your decision based on what seems most appropriate to your application :smile: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM75ZaNQSFb7I6E9MDnMgwW1GGZIijf

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:37 AM
  • User76049 posted

+1 for Prism.

I've written two production apps using MVVM Light and I really like the framework but honestly for Forms only dev, it's much easier in Prism, especially passing objects via the navigation service, much better navigation support, convenient ways to handle memory management in 6.3 pre1.

Also there's great support via slack, people will help out here or you can always email Brian who is really helpful.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:51 AM
  • User298276 posted

First of all: Thank you for your advice. When I started thinking about a cross-platform app, it took me some time, just to get an overview. In the JavaScript/HTML-world there are a lot of impressive frameworks, but mostly you have to combine them. You don't get one development environment out of the box. After a while I was really dismayed. Frameworks seemed to come and go and you get a lot of dependencies. That was the reason, why I decided to use Xamarin Forms and maybe that's the reason, why I am a little bit concerned about using frameworks like FreshMVVM or Prism. Do they really help me or will I create an overhead?

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 2:55 PM
  • User112706 posted

+1 Prism, we have some projects with Prism and i cannot remind myself without this lib! really Prism help a lot

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:15 PM