Windows admin accounts not showing up

Question

• So here is the deal. I did a fresh install of windows developer edition it worked fine for 2-3 months. Then one fine day after a windows update one strange problem came up. After rebooting windows stopped showing any admin account ( there are three including one default Admin account) on the login screen , only one Guest account is coming up.

I am not able to do anything in this guest account as no admin rights. If I do a restore then the admin account shows up on first login but after a reboot same problem comes up. I have a Ubuntu installed in parallel.

Anyone has faced this problem or know how to fix it ?

Thanks

Vivek
    Friday, January 6, 2012 6:25 AM

Answers

• Hi spikesn,

lets give Refresh a try, I hate doing it because all the applications installed by you, as well as the updates, shall be lost and you have to do it all over again but the list of lost apps is posted at the desktop in html. You may try a local account initially at Refresh, you can later put in a Live ID which is 16 or less character long. As you might have noted by now, WDP has two other login modes via Picture and PIN passwords. If you don't succeed yet again, try a Reset, if that doesn't work either, I'm afraid you shall have to use a fresh burn from ISO obtained from the Windows Metro Style Apps Developer Downloads site.

You may also wait for a more informed advice from the seniors here.

Irfan
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:28 AM

All replies

• spikesn,

Are you doing a refresh or a restore? 

When the Admin account is first loading are you then running Windows Updates? 

Are the accounts live accounts or local?

Thanks,

Chris
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I am doing neither, its like one fine day after an upgrade-restart system won't show my user ID on login. Its not even showing the Windows 8 start up screen where you have to slide it up.

Admin account comes up only when I choose to do a restore via USB drive and then I created another Windows live Id , on next restart it didn't came up. Only default guest account comes up to choose.

I have two live in admin account, one default Admin account and a guest account . Only guest account shows up. When I use the 'net user' command I can see all the IDs.

Let me know if that information helped.

Thanks

Vivek

Friday, January 6, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Hi spikesn,

Refresh / Automatic Repairs may be a good option for you. If you have  WDP's graphic boot manager and it shows, you may click on the 3rd and last option on the boot manager [besides the two Operating Systems] Change defaults or choose other options instead of selecting either of your 2 OS's, then click on Choose other options and finally on Automatic Repairs. Else, you may boot from your USB, click on Repair, the option at the bottom left, instead of Install and carry on with the several Repair Options available there.

Irfan
    Friday, January 6, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Hi Irfan ,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried two things i.e. Automatic repair and Enabling Id from Command prompt , once I am in troubleshoot option via USB drive, it gives me an option to go to Command Prompt by logging via my Admin account. I tried running "net user active " command from there too. But it didn't work either.

Thanks

Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:45 AM
  • Hi spikesn,

lets give Refresh a try, I hate doing it because all the applications installed by you, as well as the updates, shall be lost and you have to do it all over again but the list of lost apps is posted at the desktop in html. You may try a local account initially at Refresh, you can later put in a Live ID which is 16 or less character long. As you might have noted by now, WDP has two other login modes via Picture and PIN passwords. If you don't succeed yet again, try a Reset, if that doesn't work either, I'm afraid you shall have to use a fresh burn from ISO obtained from the Windows Metro Style Apps Developer Downloads site.

You may also wait for a more informed advice from the seniors here.

Irfan
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:28 AM