none
Unqualified symbols when I specify path to them RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to debug some dump file, and use this command where I specify path to my symbols:

cdb.exe -z c:\path\to\dump.dmp -y c:\path\to\symbols -c "!analyze -v;~*kb" > c:\path\to\output.txt

but I get this message and unexpected results:

***                                                                                                 ***
    ***                                                                                                 ***
    ***    Either you specified an unqualified symbol, or your debugger      ***
    ***    doesn't have full symbol information.  Unqualified symbol           ***
    ***    resolution is turned off by default. Please either specify a            ***
    ***    fully qualified symbol module!symbolname, or enable resolution  ***
    ***    of unqualified symbols by typing ".symopt- 100". Note that         ***
    ***    enabling unqualified symbol resolution with network symbol        ***
    ***    server shares in the symbol path may cause the debugger to      ***
    ***    appear to hang for long periods of time when an incorrect           ***
    ***    symbol name is typed or the network symbol server is down.      ***
    ***                                                                                                  ***
    ***    For some commands to work properly, your symbol path             ***
    ***    must point to .pdb files that have full type information.               ***
    ***                                                                                                  ***
    ***    Certain .pdb files (such as the public OS symbols) do not            ***
    ***    contain the required information.  Contact the group that            ***
    ***    provided you with these symbols if you need this command to     ***
    ***    work.                                                                                      ***
    ***    Type referenced: $ntdllsym!_CONTEXT                                      ***

Also whe I use WinDbg with these commands:

1. !symfix
    2. !sympath+ <my_path>
    3. !reload
    4. !analyze -v;~*kb

everything works okay, and I get expected results.

What should I change in cdb command to make it work properly?

Thursday, April 4, 2019 12:55 PM

Answers