none
Access runtime RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a problem with Access runtime 2016, it is not possible to open an accdb database created in Access 2016. I get the following error:

"The database you are trying to open requires a newer version of Microsoft Access."

Both are 64 bit versions.

Hope someone can help.
    Yours sincerely

Ole
    Monday, June 4, 2018 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Ole,

Based on this error message, it seems to be related with Bigint datatype in Access 2016.

You could refer link below:

#"Database you are trying to open requires a newer version of Microsoft Access" error in Access

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/3208802/database-you-are-trying-to-open-requires-a-newer-version-of-microsoft

Currently, there is no avaible Access 2016 runtime which supports Bigint.

You could change the BigInt to Number or install full update office pacakage and start msaccess with /runtime parameter.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not 100% sure but double check if the Runtime has any updates you need to install. You might also try redownloading and reinstalling it (hoping the download would have the latest version).

Just my 2 cents...

Monday, June 4, 2018 3:53 PM
  • Hi Ole,

Based on this error message, it seems to be related with Bigint datatype in Access 2016.

You could refer link below:

#"Database you are trying to open requires a newer version of Microsoft Access" error in Access

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/3208802/database-you-are-trying-to-open-requires-a-newer-version-of-microsoft

Currently, there is no avaible Access 2016 runtime which supports Bigint.

You could change the BigInt to Number or install full update office pacakage and start msaccess with /runtime parameter.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:49 AM
  • Hi Ole,

Do you have any issue with this thread?

If not, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer to close this thread.

If you do, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:19 AM
  • Hi Tao

I found out that I should use the 32 bit version of Runtime.

Yours sincerely
    Ole
    Saturday, June 16, 2018 6:27 PM