Broken reference issues; Relative address isn't working RRS feed

• Question

• I converted a solution from VS2005 to VS2010.  The original solution used dotNet 2.0 and ESRI ArcGIS so when VS2010 wanted to switch to dotNet 4.0 I declined.  ESRI ArcGIS 10 hasn't been cirtified for dotNet 4.0 yet.

I then selected each project properties and changed dotNet to 3.5, cleaned up any broken references and tried to rebuild the whole solution.

The rebuild gave me a message like the following:  

The referenced project ‘..\..\..\TechnicalArchitecture\Shared\TheCityofCalgary.Architecture.DataEntityModel\TheCityofCalgary.Architecture.DataEntityModel.csproj’ does not exist.

and the following error message: 

This is odd since the referenced project's location has not changed and it is 3 directories up and over from the project that is using the reference.  So I changed the relative reference to a fixed reference by changing ..\..\..  with C:\Projects\(ArcGIS) Server Services\Main V10\Solution.  The project will know build.  However, this will cause issues when I try to send the solution off to our build server since it won't have this physical location.

The type or namespace name 'DataEntityModel' does not exist in the namespace 'TheCityofCalgary.Architecture' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

I have also tryied recreating the project.  This works as well.  However, when I rename the project back to the old name and modify the directory back to the old name the project gives the same error about a broken reference.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? All help is appreciated. 

P.S. I hope I've posted to the correct forum.

Larry Williams City of Calgary
    Monday, April 4, 2011 6:44 PM

Answers

•  You need to calculate relative paths not between project/solution files, but between sln, csproj files physical locations. 

Maybe while upgrade the relative paths of the projects FILES changed? That must be the main reason, if absolute paths work fine.

Don't forget to mark the correct answer Blog
    • Marked as answer by Aspen VJ Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:23 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 8:42 PM