none
Error "Failed to retrieve data for this request" using Query Designer in MVS2015

Question

• Hi, 

I'm having a weird problem with version of MVS2015+ (I tested also MVS2017 today and it's doing the same thing).

The following error is not present in MVS2012 or 2013....!

When I try to add a new rapport using the Report Wizard and the Query builder/Designer, I get the following error when clicking on the "add table" button :

Failed to retrieve data for this request.

An exception occured while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.

The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'xxxxx', database 'yyyy', schema 'zzzzzz'.

Digging a bit further, the object in question that is failing....is a table that the user doesn't have full access. The user only have the select permission on selected column of the table. If I issue a query on those columns in management studio for that table (connected with the same user)...it works !!!

The only way to get rid of the error, is granting full select on all columns of the table...which I do not want to do !!!

Revoking full access to that table also works.....but again I do not want that !

It looks like the Query builder needs full access on all colums of a table granted to a user to work...

I think it maybe a bug in MVS2015 and MVS2017...knowing that the problem is not occuring with the previous version !

Thanks in advance for help,

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi FredericBouchard, 

Which SQL server are you connecting? 

I'm using  VS 2015 with SQL server 2016 and SQL server data tools 14.0.60519.0, and I did not have this issue. 

Best regards, 

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:06 PM
  • SQL Server 2008
    Friday, May 5, 2017 5:53 PM