none
Mail Merge RRS feed

• Question

• Access 2003

I have found an MSDN article that specifies the open of a Word doc as a command from Access - and it works.  However the Word doc was originally set up as a mail merge document and while it opens fine, it doesn't merge.  In fact the mail merge icons in the menu bar are not enabled. 

If I manually open the Word doc it merges.

I have found another MSDN article that specifies opening a Mail Merge Word doc where the data source is included in an sql statement in the opening document arguments.   I have not implemented this because it would require rebuilding - or at least changing - the existing Word doc's data source.

So I am wondering whether or not one can open the existing Word doc (via an Access command) so that it merges just as if one opened it manually?

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

• If the document is already setup with the merge you want, and the user can just go an click on the word document, then the following code will produe the SAME results if the use went and clicked on the document.

application.FollowHyperlink "path name to word coducmtn"

So above just opens the document, and the merge settings etc. will not be touched.

Albert D. Kallal
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:31 PM

All replies

• If the document is already setup with the merge you want, and the user can just go an click on the word document, then the following code will produe the SAME results if the use went and clicked on the document.

application.FollowHyperlink "path name to word coducmtn"

So above just opens the document, and the merge settings etc. will not be touched.

Albert D. Kallal
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:31 PM
  • ah ok.  That is simple enough.  much thanks - - just don't think of hyperlink much when inside Office.

so gave it a try - and it launches the Windows Installer !! .... kind of a 'what in the world'? moment there....canceled that and then the doc opened just fine - as you advised.

I don't do much anymore in 2003 on my xp machine....turns out I bought this native XP came with Office2002 or sometimes called OfficeXP I think.   I added Access2003 later....and have both versions on this PC of Access.  So I guess when A2003 attempts to open W2002 then the windows installer gets involved !!  fun and games...  will figure that out later...thanks again. 

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:03 AM