Moving a website from a 2008 server to a 2012 server without having the application source code. RRS feed

• Question

• User93267240 posted

I have been tasked with moving an ASP .NET production server's web application from a 2008 Windows server to a 2012 Windows server. I do not have the application's source code and only have the deployed to IIS application files. Can I do this and if so does anyone know of an artical to instruct me on doing so?

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:17 PM

Answers

• User-286291038 posted

Hi holdorfs,

You should be able to just move the deployed code from Windows 2008 server to the Windows 2012 server. 

Some of the issues I have faced while moving applications between servers is due to the changes in the IIS when it used to only operate in classic mode versus now that it operates in classic as well as integrated mode.

But nevertheless, we were able to make appropriate changes and get it resolved. Some of the challenges could be related to how handlers are mapped in case they are used in your applications. 

But if your current application is a pretty straight forward ASP.NET application, you should be able to just get the application working in windows server 2012 by moving the deployed code in your windows server 2008.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 2:39 PM