error while connecting to sql azure RRS feed

• Question

• hi,
    I am getting the following error while connecting to the sql azure services through ADO.Net from console application or through SSMS 2008.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

connection string is Data Source=l2p1hbe7qn.ctp.database.windows.net;Initial Catalog=Test;User ID=XXX@l2p1hbe7qn;Password=YYY

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No such host is known.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 11001)

connection string is Data Source=tcp:l2p1hbe7qn.ctp.database.windows.net;Initial Catalog=Test;User ID=XXX@l2p1hbe7qn;Password=YYY

Please help.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 3:36 AM

Answers

• Typically this occurs when, from your machine, you are unable to physically establish a connection to our service.  Have you tried using the following command to validate connectivity?

telnet l2p1hbe7qn.ctp.database.windows.net 1433

If you are unable to establish a connection with this then I would suggest you check your firewall settings.

Friday, September 18, 2009 3:45 AM

All replies

• Typically this occurs when, from your machine, you are unable to physically establish a connection to our service.  Have you tried using the following command to validate connectivity?

telnet l2p1hbe7qn.ctp.database.windows.net 1433

If you are unable to establish a connection with this then I would suggest you check your firewall settings.

Friday, September 18, 2009 3:45 AM
  • I m facing same issue.. while trying to connect from SSMS from one of my server machine having below version installed:

select @@version

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2799.0 (X64)   Sep 13 2010 15:58:11   Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation  Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 <X64> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2) 

Error..

TITLE: Connect to Database Engine

------------------------------

Cannot connect to zxzx.database.windows.net.

------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10060)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=10060&LinkId=20476

I m able to connect from my laptop having Denali version..

Is this due to version?

mahesh
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:28 PM
  • SSMS and SQL Azure: Network error while connecting. some of the common things to check when you are not able to connect to SQL Azure through SSMS

1) Is the server name correct?

2) Is the username + password correct?

3) SQL Azure Firewall settings !!

4) Run SQL server configuration manager -> see if TCP/IP is enabled in network services.

5) Also ping .database,windows.net 1433

- Paras Doshi, (SQL) Azure and cloud computing paradigm enthusiast! I blog at http://www.parasdoshi.com and URL of my unified profile is http://www.flavors.me/paras
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Fellows, im having the same issue since yesterday. Im trying to connect my SSMS to SQL Azure. Although i tried to telnet and connection failed. i added port 1433 in my machine's firewall settings.

Anyone with the answers. its becoming a lil frustrating.

im running win 7 x 64

Monday, April 25, 2011 3:40 AM
  • Fellows, im having the same issue since yesterday. Im trying to connect my SSMS to SQL Azure. Although i tried to telnet and connection failed. i added port 1433 in my machine's firewall settings.

Anyone with the answers. its becoming a lil frustrating.

im running win 7 x 64

Can you try adding all ip's (0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255) in your SQL Azure firewall rule. Note: it't not a best practice to keep your firewall open for all ip's - but i am suggesting it just so that you can check whether SQL Azure firewall is an issue.

- Paras Doshi, (SQL) Azure and cloud computing paradigm enthusiast! I blog at http://www.parasdoshi.com and URL of my unified profile is http://www.flavors.me/paras
    Monday, April 25, 2011 6:02 AM