Security tips reqd for website database RRS feed

• Question

• I need to provide access to a SQL Server 2008 database to a website for a client. I haven't done this before and I'm looking for tips on security.

The website will be hosted on a server either in a DMZ or external to the network. Access to the SQL server will be through a Cisco router.
    The network is a workgroup, not a domain. The website needs write access to one database.

The client wants enough flexibility that I can't restrict them to using stored procedures. It'll be their responsibility to ensure they don't wreck their database.

I'll give them datawriter permissions on that database, and enforce a strict password policy.

What other things should I do to safeguard the SQL server from the evils of the internet?
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:43 PM

Answers

• - give the minimum rights to application logins (avoid sysadmin, db_owner). Usually, db_reader and db_writer are enough, sometimes ddl_admin is required for TRUNCATE.

- give the minimum rights to the SQL Server Account.

- do not use “sa” account.

- Do not open SQL port on the Internet.

- Access SQL through VPN over Internet.

- Change SQL default port.

- Use complex passwords and if possible expiration (could be an issue for application logins).

- use and enable only TCP-IP (no named pipes) for remote connections.

- have specialized accounts, distinguish “diag” “admin” “application” etc… and use Windows authentication as much as possible (not easy on a workgroup).

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Feng (SQL) Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:15 AM

All replies

• - give the minimum rights to application logins (avoid sysadmin, db_owner). Usually, db_reader and db_writer are enough, sometimes ddl_admin is required for TRUNCATE.

- give the minimum rights to the SQL Server Account.

- do not use “sa” account.

- Do not open SQL port on the Internet.

- Access SQL through VPN over Internet.

- Change SQL default port.

- Use complex passwords and if possible expiration (could be an issue for application logins).

- use and enable only TCP-IP (no named pipes) for remote connections.

- have specialized accounts, distinguish “diag” “admin” “application” etc… and use Windows authentication as much as possible (not easy on a workgroup).

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Feng (SQL) Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Thanks for the tips StefDBA, I think I can implement most of them.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:39 PM