none
xsd Datasets corrupted RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi :o)

    The project I am having problems with is over 4 years old and has been working fine.

    Last week I made a change in a xsd dataset which seemed to work ok. I then went back into the dataset and it now opens up in the XML designer. I then noticed that some of my other datasets are having the same problem and some are ok and open in the dataset designer.

    I tried restoring and earlier version and this didn't fix the problem.

    I tried excluding the dataset then re-including which then re-imports it as an XML file.

    I've tried all of the fixes I could find on various websites which all seem to reset VS in some way. None of which made any difference.

    I am now in a real mess as can't alter anything in the affected datasets and don't want to just rebuild them in case it happens again.

    Many thanks

    Tim


    Update: I've just tried to open the project in VS2010 and the datasets open OK - still don't open in VS2012 - I think it's since the last update?

    many thanks

    Friday, May 3, 2013 10:15 AM

All replies

  • Hello,

    Have you tried "run custom tool" on the xsd file?


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

    Friday, May 3, 2013 10:29 AM
  • Hi Kevin :)

    Yes mate - I have and it does nothing. It does nothing on the working one's either.

    Thanks

    Friday, May 3, 2013 10:34 AM
  • Is Custom Tool set to MSDataSetGenerator

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

    Friday, May 3, 2013 10:47 AM
  • Yes it is
    Friday, May 3, 2013 11:34 AM
  • I had asked because sometimes it is not set and running custom tool does not error out.

    Anyways I have nothing else to add that would make you happy.


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

    Friday, May 3, 2013 12:51 PM
  • OK - thanks for trying buddy :)
    Friday, May 3, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Hi Tim,

    I am moving your thread into the ADO.NET DataSet Forum for dedicated support. Thanks for your understanding.

    Best Regards,


    Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    Monday, May 6, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Tim,

    This thread is a week old, so maybe you've got it all worked out, but I thought I'd "check in" anyway. There's nothing wrong with an .xsd opening with the XML designer instead of the DataSet designer. In fact, I prefer it that way. I think it's much easier to add a column to a DataTable in XML or even add a whole new DataTable in XML, and since I don't use TableAdapters, the DataSet designer often adds a lot of junk to my XML that I don't want or need. But hey, that's just me ...

    Getting back to your problem, what *else* is wrong (other than the XSD opening in the XML designer)? Have you tried to open in the DataSet designer (right-click the XSD in the SolutionExplorer and choose "Open With" | "Data Set Editor")? If so, are you saying that doesn't work?


    ~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

    geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

    Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Tim,

    Can you describe what you mean with corrupted. It seems it can be opened so it is in my perception not corrupted.

    Be aware that if it does not work like you thought it would be, can be because some changes have done either in the DataBase Server or either in the programs which uses the XSD. 

    Then you can do a reconfig by opening it in the pane after selecting the XSD, do a right click and choose for the method which does that.


    Success
    Cor

    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hey

    This is an interesting thing at all! - I have had the same problem last week.

    I tried around -but nothing seemed to work. - I did a repair of the VS-Installation, after that it worked again. - I am not sure, but maybe it is an Windows update / or an VS-Update, what could cause the problem. - But try this. Just go to the software and repair the installation.

    THX - Have a nice day

    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:27 AM
  • I know this thread is old but I would like to submit an answer for anyone still looking.

    In Solution Explorer, right click on the dataset and choose the Open With.. option.  In the Open With dialog you can reset the default method for viewing the dataset file.  Select DataSet Editor and click the Set as Default button.

    Sometimes this setting gets messed up and leaves us all wondering what happened.  Hope this helps.

    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:27 PM
  • Yes, this is an old thread ... but I think I suggested that already. Although, you *did* add the advice to "Set as Default", so that's something new added to this thread. ;0)

    ~~Bonnie DeWitt [C# MVP]

    http://geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:09 PM