How to port WinMobile .NET CF3.5 app to WinCE (diff resolution) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All, Our .NET CF 3.5 application is already built for Intermec CN3 PDAs (with 240x320 resolution) and needs to be ported also on a WinCE based CV60. While migrating this application to that CV60 where we are facing the resolution issue for fitting application windows on the screen on CV60 (640x480 resolution). We experimented by altering some parameters of the forms , but in vain. To be more technical, the AutoScaleMode was set to DPI, then the size of the form was changed to 640x480, as against 240x320, then the other parameters like Locking, MaximizeBox, MinimizeBox etc were modified, but all in vain. Can you provide us any help on how to fit the .NET CF 3.5 application fullscreen on the CV60 screen with minimal effort ?

Regards,

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:24 AM

Answers

• I would imagine that docking and anchoring will fix a lot of these problems.  Check out this article on creating WinForms that fit various form factors.  When creating a form, I lay out most of my controls in such a way that their size and position is relative to the form, rather than just a hardcoded Size and Location.  This is most easily achieved through docking and anchoring.

Another piece of advice: while you are in the process of making your application "resolution-aware," take a little extra time to make it "orientation-aware" as well.  Many Windows Mobile devices are have portrait mode as the default orientation, so most people put very little consideration into what will happen to their form in landscape mode.  Even though right now you may not foresee an immediate need, you will be kicking yourself later if you have to come back and fix the UI a second time, when you could make the tweaks right now.  Seeing as how you are having to port your app to a different device now, it is not inconceivable that you will do it again in the future, right?

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Hi dc_riju,

In addition to nispio's reply, for developing resolution and orientation aware application, there is an "Adapt Your App" initiative that will help you develop such applications.

Here are some helpful articles regarding this topic:

Step by Step: Developing Orientation-Aware and Resolution-Aware Windows Mobile-based Applications in Native Code (It's native but should not prevent you from getting the idea.)
    Developing DPI-Aware Applications

Best regard,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:19 AM

All replies

• I would imagine that docking and anchoring will fix a lot of these problems.  Check out this article on creating WinForms that fit various form factors.  When creating a form, I lay out most of my controls in such a way that their size and position is relative to the form, rather than just a hardcoded Size and Location.  This is most easily achieved through docking and anchoring.

Another piece of advice: while you are in the process of making your application "resolution-aware," take a little extra time to make it "orientation-aware" as well.  Many Windows Mobile devices are have portrait mode as the default orientation, so most people put very little consideration into what will happen to their form in landscape mode.  Even though right now you may not foresee an immediate need, you will be kicking yourself later if you have to come back and fix the UI a second time, when you could make the tweaks right now.  Seeing as how you are having to port your app to a different device now, it is not inconceivable that you will do it again in the future, right?

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Hi dc_riju,

In addition to nispio's reply, for developing resolution and orientation aware application, there is an "Adapt Your App" initiative that will help you develop such applications.

Here are some helpful articles regarding this topic:

Step by Step: Developing Orientation-Aware and Resolution-Aware Windows Mobile-based Applications in Native Code (It's native but should not prevent you from getting the idea.)
    Developing DPI-Aware Applications

Best regard,
    Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:19 AM