none
Using templates for Phone Development

Question

• I exported my app project to a template in Visual Studio 2015 as I want to use the template for a new app, which is kind of the same but a different topic. Using the template is all fine and I can create the new app with the same code, but it has the same signiture of the app i used to make the template so it uninstalls that app when installing the new one based on the template. How do i make the new app unique? I have changed the package details, and as much as i can think of but it still seems to think its the original app. Any help would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

The package name it seems doesn't matter. In the screen you can only change the package details but not the Identity Name, which seems to be the key. Sorry i asked the question twice in the forum in two different places and got the answer there.

(sorry it wont let me post a hyperlink until my account is verified, how do i do that?).

If you look in the code of the Package you will see the Name tag of Identity in the first couple of lines.
    The Name tag value is the unique bit. When uploading to the store Dev Center changes this. So, when I make a new app with my template I will just change this value and the app will be unique on my phone. The package details I enter when I submit to the store taking the details from the Dev Center.

The reason i needed it was because i am in the process of making my Android apps to Windows. My first few app were all Soundboards. The code is generic so i needed a way of copying the code. Then all i do is change the sound files and images and compile, as the rest is dynamically generated.

• Marked as answer by Royhid Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Royhid,

If you view package name of all projects created by the same template, whether they have the same package name?

For example, you could create a simple phone project using the default VS project template(not the custom one), and then copy the package name to one project created by your previous custom template, and then install it in your windows, whether it would uninstall your previous installed one? I feel that all projects use the same package name in your side.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:27 AM
  • Hi Jack,

The package name it seems doesn't matter. In the screen you can only change the package details but not the Identity Name, which seems to be the key. Sorry i asked the question twice in the forum in two different places and got the answer there.

(sorry it wont let me post a hyperlink until my account is verified, how do i do that?).

If you look in the code of the Package you will see the Name tag of Identity in the first couple of lines.
    The Name tag value is the unique bit. When uploading to the store Dev Center changes this. So, when I make a new app with my template I will just change this value and the app will be unique on my phone. The package details I enter when I submit to the store taking the details from the Dev Center.

The reason i needed it was because i am in the process of making my Android apps to Windows. My first few app were all Soundboards. The code is generic so i needed a way of copying the code. Then all i do is change the sound files and images and compile, as the rest is dynamically generated.

• Marked as answer by Royhid Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:12 PM