Windows 7 Start Menu in Windows 8

General discussion

• Who thinks that either the standard Windows 7 Start Menu or a new similar Start Menu should be incorporated into Windows 8? Although using the search feature to search settings seems to be the counterpart to the Start Menu search function, and the tiles the counterpart to the Menu itself - I think that there should still be a simple option to access the Start Menu (not a registry change)

Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:31 AM

All replies

• This is a very early version of Windows 8, many changes will happen between now and when it's finally released. It may or many not look the same later on.

• Edited by TrekDozer Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:41 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:40 AM
  • I agree.  I know that the start screen does (almost) everything the start menu did; however, when I'm using desktop applications, the start menu seems faster.  I like to stay in Metro for all of my content consumption (except flash videos and games) and stay in the desktop mode for all of my development and coding.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:43 AM
  • I know, i suspect MS have deliberately disabled it to see how we get on with it, i just hope you don't have to delve into the registry to get it back on the final release. I've tested with a registry tweak to bring back the Start Menu but it disables a lot of stuff like the Advanced Task Manager and of course Metro. Even so i much prefer Win 8 with Metro deactivated, it just seems pointless - after all its then just Windows 7 with some changes to the kernel (Service Pack)
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:09 AM
  • I agree! The start menu ought to correspond directly to the contents of the start screen. It should not be a registry change as inexperienced users will try to change it. It is difficult enough to get people to adjust to something new. I have better things to do than answer fifty calls a day, "How do you open Word?" or "I can't find the start menu?" or "My computer's broken!" (when it isn't) or "How does the start screen work [for the 10,000th time]?".

An option to go to the desktop automatically at login would also be very good (some of us still use desktop computers with keyboards and mice). You should also be able to disable the start screen and use only the start menu -- you need different things on Desktops than on Tablets. All of this should be available on a Start Menu tab in the Taskbar/Start Menu Properties dialog. Here are some suggestions for possible options:

Taskbar & Start Menu/Screen Properties:
    -Type of Start Menu {Win8 Start Menu | Win7 Start Menu}
    -When Start Button is Clicked {Go to Start Screen | Open Start Menu}
    -After Login Go To {Start Screen | Desktop}

There should also be an option at Setup to select whether you are installing Windows on a Desktop computer or a Tablet. This would make the UI more user-friendly, which is what everyone wants.

• Edited by W4X7R4 Friday, September 30, 2011 3:45 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:41 AM
  • I very much agree with JHawk111. And I don't like accidentally switching between Desktop and Metro modes. Is there a keystroke to switch between Desktop and Metro modes? If there isn't I think there should be. There should also be a keystroke or something to lock it in Desktop or Metro mode.

I woluld prefer if the Start Menu was like the Win7 start menu -- at least in Desktop mode. Perhaps the running programs should appear in the start menu in the bottom left corner in Metro mode since there isn't a taskbar.

• Edited by W4X7R4 Friday, September 30, 2011 5:04 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 5:02 AM
  • I'd prefer a real start menu, but I wouldn't mind the Metro Start
    screen so much if it had folders, but with every icon for things you
    install, it's darned hard to find the one you need and a pita to
    scroll on the desktop. 

Even the iPhone does folders, so it's not like it doesn't have a
    precedent in the mobile space, and I might add that they're extremely
    useful for organizing groups of apps.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:01 PM
  • So far the removal of the Start Menu is a BIG ‘FAIL’. The Start Screen is a very different way of working from the Start Menu, and the issue for me that I don’t think Microsoft ‘gets’ is understanding that each of a my machines play a different role in my daily life. My main desktop is my workhorse. Its where I need to be as efficient, focused, and productive as possible... and I need the OS to help keep me in ‘flow’ rather than detract me.

After a week using Win8, the experiential transition between the Start Menu and the busy, colorful, and lively UI metro search desktop is jarring, and in my opinion, is completely unnecessary (especially when all I want to do is open a recently used or pinned app). What I don’t think Microsoft ‘gets’ with respect to this change is that there is an actual benefit to keep my main desktop visible while using the Start Menu. Seeing familiar windows, icons, and open apps in the background while performing a task allows my mind to continue to process and focus on what’s next. But by switching me into the new metro Start Screen, I’m now disrupted by the color, the transition, and the full screen. The experience breaks my concentration and flow, it disrupts my mind and my productivity, rather than helping it.

I like the ideal of being able to switch into a metro style interface when I’m in a different mode, but I want it on my terms, and should never be forced to do so. The integration of the two by force is unnecessary and feels disorderly. Instead Microsoft should keep both, allow the user to choose, and provide an alternate way of accessing the metro Start Screen.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:12 PM