When to develop solution with SharePoint or MVC RRS feed

• Question

• User516022031 posted

Hello. I am developing asp.net applications with ASP.NET Webforms and MVC. and recently i am starting to develop with SharePoint.

But i want an advice from Expert developers when i can decide to develop an application with Sharepoint or (MVC - WebForms).

Is SharePoint is higher technology than others to develop applications. Or SharePoint has a limitation in developing some types of business solutions.

Thanks..,

Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:02 AM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

SharePoint was written with ASP.NET WebForms and webservices and has been around for quite some time.

I've been developing since 2002 with ASP.NET (MVC) and only since last year had to develop against SharePoint Online (Office 365). In the past we saw lots of customizations in SP itself but it gave agony while upgrading to a newer version. Since like last year we've been seeing, and hearing from Microsoft, to don't take that path anymore and simply create SharePoint add-ins in the form of a web application which calls out to SharePoint. Either this can be done with REST calls, CSOM or with the new Microsoft Graph (not only SharePoint).

SharePoint has a limitation in developing some types of business solutions

That would be customizing it which is nowadays not seen as a good practice. Simply create an ASP.NET application (any flavor you're familiar with) and interact with SharePoint/O365 and use it for what you can use it. It's very easy to overuse it and get into a pile of misery when you try to upgrade later on.

For Visuals inside SP I would still make use of displaytemplates, JavaScript, CSS, ... to customize that. Basically that's how we also did it for certain search pages and views of documents with extra information which was either put in a document library or List.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:58 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

You should really post your question to a Sharepoint forum. Questions about Sharepoint are off topic here.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:56 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

SharePoint was written with ASP.NET WebForms and webservices and has been around for quite some time.

I've been developing since 2002 with ASP.NET (MVC) and only since last year had to develop against SharePoint Online (Office 365). In the past we saw lots of customizations in SP itself but it gave agony while upgrading to a newer version. Since like last year we've been seeing, and hearing from Microsoft, to don't take that path anymore and simply create SharePoint add-ins in the form of a web application which calls out to SharePoint. Either this can be done with REST calls, CSOM or with the new Microsoft Graph (not only SharePoint).

SharePoint has a limitation in developing some types of business solutions

That would be customizing it which is nowadays not seen as a good practice. Simply create an ASP.NET application (any flavor you're familiar with) and interact with SharePoint/O365 and use it for what you can use it. It's very easy to overuse it and get into a pile of misery when you try to upgrade later on.

For Visuals inside SP I would still make use of displaytemplates, JavaScript, CSS, ... to customize that. Basically that's how we also did it for certain search pages and views of documents with extra information which was either put in a document library or List.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:58 AM
  • User-1780421697 posted

SharePoint is CMS as you get answer that it is build on ASP.Net.

In organization we use SharePoint as Document Library Management System and lot more, We can easily manages multiple sites in a container of website collection which can be used for several departments, like we have a site collection which contain website for each department and they have their own requirements as well as documents.Most of work is done by using Lists, Several type of lists are available we just need to customized them and used in our forms.

Sharepoint has ability to connect with Excel , Word etc. like we have a component in excel which is connected with share point and send data to share point,We can create forms in Infopath and can managed datasource so they can be used with sharepoint, I use ASP.Net web form application which perform CRUD operation in list of sharepoint.

Basically we can write silverlight, asp.net web parts and integrate them in sharepoint,

In short it is complete CMS we can design complete websites which can use active directory of domains and much more.Easy to manage documents it can have many versions of a document like major,minor setting of version make it easy to have several version of a single document and multiple users can work on it much more..

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee661740.aspx

http://lightningtools.com/bdc_meta_man/configure-bdc-web-parts-with-sharepoint-lists/

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:37 PM