Problem Deploying ASMX Web Service RRS feed

• Question

• User-352267356 posted

Hello,

I have a web application project that has an ASMX web service in it to do distance calculations.  I then have another project which consumes this web service. 

When I run the projects on my localhost, everything works fine.  However, when I deploy both projects to our QC environment, when I run the code that calls the web service, I get the following error:

"Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'"

Another detail.  In my environment, I don't have direct access to IIS.  But our network engineers created an IIS application for the network path where the application resides.

I tried to just type the path to the web service into the browser, but the web service description doesn't come up and says the page cannot be displayed.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Friday, July 5, 2013 10:33 AM

Answers

• User-488622176 posted

Did you mark the folder hosting the asmx file as an application folder in IIS?  

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 7:47 AM
  • User220959680 posted

Hello,

Come to think of it, no I didn't mark the folder hosting the asmx file as an application folder in IIS.  Let me try this now.

Here is Step by Step guidance

Deploying a Web Service Directly to IIS [Ctrl + F for Deploying a Web service Directly to IIS]  or read from the beginning to understand inner workings.

Monday, July 8, 2013 5:38 PM

All replies

• User-1366948256 posted

Hi,

If you are getting page can not be displayed then you have problem with configuration of asp.net web service aplication in IIS.

Regards,

Friday, July 5, 2013 2:38 PM
  • User-488622176 posted

Did you mark the folder hosting the asmx file as an application folder in IIS?  

Monday, July 8, 2013 7:47 AM
  • User-352267356 posted

Hello,

Come to think of it, no I didn't mark the folder hosting the asmx file as an application folder in IIS.  Let me try this now.

Monday, July 8, 2013 11:02 AM
  • User220959680 posted

Hello,

Here is Step by Step guidance

Deploying a Web Service Directly to IIS [Ctrl + F for Deploying a Web service Directly to IIS]  or read from the beginning to understand inner workings.

Monday, July 8, 2013 5:38 PM